1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

turn off for android on screen keyboard?

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by Ecky, Dec 26, 2012.

1. Ecky

Ecky New Member

Dec 19, 2012

Sponsored Ad

folks,
    just bought a new sony xperia s tablet and have a external bluetooth keyboard i want to use on ththat tablet instead of the on screen keyboard. the external k can connect properly to the tablet via bluetooth. i can get the four digits pin in by hitting the external keyboard keys. so, communication seems to work. but all my android apps require keyboard input will only use the on screen keyboard. no automatic switch over to the external one possible. can i switch off the on screen keayboard in any kind ? or how is this working in android?

thanks

2. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Do you know if the keyboard lists that it is compatible with the tablet you have? Sounds like there may be a conflict or perhaps drivers that may need updating.

What keyboard do you have?

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. Ecky

Ecky New Member

Dec 19, 2012
    hi stevetaz

bought the keyboard as part of a booklet from a store called Brookstone. it seems to be a no name keyboard. looking into the Brookstone chatroom tells me that they only talk about iPads and iOS. didn't realize this when i jumped into that shop quickly a SFO airport.
    so, it might be something around android drivers you think? would be good to know what drivers...

thanks.

5. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    They do offer a number of different keyboards. Some are only for iOS and others for specific Android models.

Do you see the keyboard on this site?

6. Ecky

Ecky New Member

Dec 19, 2012
    yep. it's the first one. but as i said it seems to be for iPad only. sad thing is that i have tested to connect mysonywith such a keyboard in the shop. and when it was connected i bought it. the sales person did not male me aware about that this is for iPads only.
    technically i do not understand why it is only working with iOS. if it can connect via the bluetoothit should only be a question of the right driver for Androide , does it?

7. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    I am not a programmer, but if designed for iOS the Android system cannot send commands in the "language" understood by the keyboard and vice-versa.

That would not be anything a driver update could resolve.

You may want to send an email to Brookstone's Customer Service explaining what happened and asking what they can do for you. Hopefully they would allow a return for full credit or refund if you have the original receipt and packaging. You may have to pay for shipping to them, but that shouldn't be too bad.

8. rockdenim

rockdenim Guest

Disable the show the screen keyboard automatic in settings to always of.
    optionally you can use one of the apps who call "null keyboard" from market and set it an input method.

9. Ecky

Ecky New Member

Dec 19, 2012
    Agreed. Seems best to have a chat with them. :confused:

Thanks a lot for your thoughts and suggestions.

All the best to you and your familiy and a Happy New Year.

10. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Remove the spam links from your signature.....

11. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    I hope they do the right thing and can help you. Please do let us know what happens.....

And a very Happy and Healthy New Year to You and Yours.....