1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Two issues I'm having...

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by TheMadJester, Nov 7, 2009.

1. TheMadJester

Bronze

Jul 14, 2009

Sponsored Ad

#1) I'm guessing this is some kind of etiquette feature or something, but when my Droid is lying flat on a surface I get zero response from the screen. I can't bring down the notification shade, can't bring up the apps menu, and can't start any apps. Is anyone else experiencing this issue? I also have a thick privacy screen protector and at first I thought that was it, but now I'm not so sure.

#2) When I'm on the home screen and I rotate the phone to landscape without sliding out the physical keyboard the screen doesn't rotate. If I'm inside an app and do the same thing the screen rotates. Is my Droid defective? Should I return it to the Jawas who sold it to me?

Thanks.

2. dragonfly

Bronze

Mar 27, 2007
    Answer to number 1. i think thats like that so that you dont accidentally press on the screen.

Number 2. the home screen may not rotate (mine doesnt either) when you turn it sideways because it prob. doesnt want you to have the screen keep rotating the second you move your hand i know that would annoy the shyt outta me.

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. TheMadJester

Bronze

Jul 14, 2009
    As long as it's not only me, I'm good. I just thought I remembered seeing it do that in a video somewhere. And I swear it did it right after I got it.

On a side note, when I playing with the Droid at the Verizon store I sent myself a text from it to test out the keyboard. Stupid move. I just a got another text from someone playing with the phone in the store.

5. dragonfly

Bronze

Mar 27, 2007
    Yeah that sux dude. Thats why i dont send myself texts ;) id send to a friend or just test type and not actually send the message.

6. Neutrino

Bronze

Sep 30, 2009
    That's one of the annoying aspects of my Blackberry Storm. I think Dragonfly is right in that the accelerometer may be inactive for the homescreen. Videos I've seen show that the only way is to open up the keyboard from the homescreen. Within an app, however, the accelerometer works as intended.

7. sherri

Gold

Jun 29, 2007
    Mine is laying flat right now, and I am able to use the screen...

8. dragonfly

Bronze

Mar 27, 2007
    You should change your phone in your profile ;) lol. i am now :) lol

9. sherri

Gold

Jun 29, 2007
    This phone is going back...

I'd feel like such a traitor! (I mod at another forum, and I haven't even changed it there!)

This particular phone is going to be exchanged. It keeps freezing, and rebooting. Have had to do over 4 battery pulls (if I wanted a BB, I would have bought one!)

I love the Droid, but I need it to work. Will see if they will exchange it.

10. dragonfly

Bronze

Mar 27, 2007
    They should be able to exchange it if they have any to give you right away. im happy mine hasnt done that yet (knock on wood) haha.

love my droid. giving my bro the saga.

11. Neutrino

Bronze

Sep 30, 2009
    Sorry to hear that, Sherri. Good luck with the exchange; let us know how it goes.

12. sherri

Gold

Jun 29, 2007
    I most certainly will. I believe they will have plenty left.

13. TheMadJester

Bronze

Jul 14, 2009
    if i hold the phone while it's laying flat i can use the screen. i think it's a sensitivity issue with the screen protector i have on it. i'm not too worried.

14. gria2515

gria2515 New Member

Nov 9, 2009
    there is a setting in the phone that you have to change for your phone to turn in landscape without opening the keyboard.

15. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    just rotate it
    not all screens rotate though

the main homepage i dont believe does

16. dragonfly

Bronze

Mar 27, 2007
    Scott may i ask how you know this? lol was it the guys droid you were messing with at best buy that you remember this from? haha. You are correct though the homescreen doesnt rotate and there is a setting but it comes with the setting already activated on the device :)

17. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    hahah well...

1. i am awesome
    2. yes i remember from the best buy
    3. i think you posted it before
    4. i am awesome
    5. im a super mod...i read all posts :dft010:big_smile

18. TheMadJester

Bronze

Jul 14, 2009
    i am in aw.

19. ushuaiaa

ushuaiaa New Member

Nov 9, 2009
    screen protector

The thick screen protector made my droid completely inoperable. I had to take it off.