1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Unlocked G1 is "Impossible" - Read This

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by Ceong, Nov 18, 2008.

1. Ceong

Ceong New Member

Nov 7, 2008

Sponsored Ad

Rebel Simcard Live Online Support Conversation

PreSales Support: Welcome to Rebel Simcard Pre Sales Chat. Please tell your me your country & how may i help you ?

Me: I am from Singapore. Can the unlocked G1 access to the Android Market? Because I read from http://www.everythinggphone.com "forum" .. no one seems to agree that the unlocked G1 can access to the Android market ..

Me: I have 3 friends wanted to get this simcard from rebel but we want the word from you . Thanks

PreSales Support: Thats for Sure Rebel sim card unlock G1 phones. Android market will works over WiFi.

Me: i see.. work over wifi but not via the carrier .. am I right ?

PreSales Support: No, it will only works with WiFi.

Wake UP!!! It Just A Dream....:D

I guess the answer is clear now!!:eek:

2. chris2k5

chris2k5 New Member

Nov 22, 2008
    I read that the G1 has a kill switch just like the iPhone. So I guess if it is true, you might want to give "unlocking" another look and see if it is worth the risk.

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. my95z34

my95z34 New Member

Aug 21, 2007
    A kill switch? I just came from the iPhone, and I've got T-Mo. Everything worked. Net and all.

5. joeknows

joeknows New Member

Nov 26, 2008
    I am pretty sure that there is a program out there that disables the kill switch Apple put in the latest firmware versions of their OS. As for the G1, if there is no way to disable the kill switch yet, give it enough time and someone will probably develop a way. All technology can be hacked, it is only a matter of time.

6. naisanza

naisanza New Member

Mar 20, 2009
    This isn't verified, but if you create an APN profile for your provider it should let the G1 connect to the Android Market through your data plan.

7. dsbalentine

dsbalentine New Member

Mar 26, 2009
    yes you can access the android market on an unlocked phone over non t-mo APN's. I had my G1 unlocked by Tmo (paid full price) and moved back to AT&T for service. Over edge I can access the market and purchase apps. No complicated custom work, just select the provider in settings, get net access and use it.

8. johnnydangerously

Bronze

Aug 20, 2006
    Same here. I'm unlocked using AT&T.