1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Unlocked = No G Mail ?

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by Ceong, Nov 7, 2008.

1. Ceong

Ceong New Member

Nov 7, 2008

Sponsored Ad

Hi Guys,

I am from Australia.. I am thinking to get the Unlocked G1 from eBay. But reading from the forums and reviews, I just found out that those Unlocked G1 from will work with any Sim card or carrier but the problem is no longer can access to G Mail and other Google application ? please kindly confirm with me .. Million Thanks:(

2. johnnydangerously

Bronze

Aug 20, 2006
    Yes, there have been a few blogs reporting about an unlocked G1. However, it does nothing but allow you to make calls. Great, you can turn your G1 into nothing more than a GoPhone. I'm with AT&T, so I'm looking forward to a true unlock, one that offers Gmail, Maps and of course Android Market.

I've yet to see that, so I'd avoid eBayers offering up unlocked G1's.

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. Ceong

Ceong New Member

Nov 7, 2008
    Hi Guys..

I went to this site "http://rebelsimcard.com" and I asked the seller online. He said all will work and tested. What do you think ? He said after unlocked, I still can access to the google application (i.e. gmail, google map ... ) ... what do you think ? You think I can take his word?

5. johnnydangerously

Bronze

Aug 20, 2006
    Sorry, I just don't believe it. I haven't see anything showing me Gmail or Android Market, etc. working on AT&T (or other GSM carrier)

6. johnnydangerously

Bronze

Aug 20, 2006
    If you watch their video, they don't show any data service. No different than the other unlock, but is a pure unlock which is more reliable. Again, both won't help you with the G1 as you'll have no data -- no data makes the G1 useless.