Unlocking/ Rooting?

Discussion in 'Android Rooting and Custom ROMs' started by norcalkev, Oct 27, 2011.

1. norcalkev

norcalkev New Member

Hey all I'm new to the forum and new to smart phones. I just bought a samsung android from metro pcs and I want to know if there is a way to jailbreak, unlock, root the phone so I can use it on other networks. I read a little in this forum about rooting but didn't find an answer to this question. I'm not even sure if unlocking, jail breaking or rooting are even the same things. Any advise to get me in the right direction would be great. thx.
  2. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

You jailbreak iPhones and you root Android Phones.

What is the exact Samsung phone and OS version you are running?
  3. Avatar

Sponsored Advertisement

4. norcalkev

norcalkev New Member

I'm not quite sure which samsung phone it is or what exactly idetifies that... here is the phone info I think will tell.... Model # SCH-R720, Version 2.3.4, Build # GINGERBREAD.EH02. There is other stuff but from what I've read these are the things talked about the most.
  5. n99hockey

You can try this One Click Method

Download the Samsung Drivers
    Download the One Click Root App

Make sure your phone is in Debug Mode
    To turn it on, go to Settings --> Applications --> Development and check the box

Install the Samsung Drivers on your PC and then unzip the One Click Root archive file. Plug your phone in (on Debug Mode) go to the directory where you save the One Click Root files and open run.bat and follow the instructions

Of course make sure you follow the instructions in the app and you are aware you take full responsbility for rooting your phone, eA or anyone else is not responsible if you do something wrong, blah blah blah disclaimer....

via Phandroid
  6. norcalkev

norcalkev New Member

When I plugged my phone in my pc automaticaly downloaded the drivers.. is this what you meant? What Exactly is the app called? I didn't find anything on the market that just said one click root app.
  7. n99hockey

Click the links in my post, those are the files you need.
  8. norcalkev

norcalkev New Member

Ok I did everything with no problems but nothing has changed on my phone... Is there some kind of extra control I should have over my phone now... If there is I haven't noticed... Maybe I wouldn't even know what to look for.
  9. n99hockey

You wont notice any difference on the surface...
    Do you see a 'Super User' program installed on your phone now? If so then you are rooted.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. norcalkev

norcalkev New Member

Nope definately dont see anything that is labled superuser. Its wierd because I remember the last thing my computer said was enjoy your rooted phone... One line above that it did say something failed... I dont remember what but I didn't much care because by saying enjoy your rooted phone I thought it was confirming that the root was a success.
  11. n99hockey

When I did my dads Droid X it would run through the whole process and say its done, but still wasnt rooted. Perhaps there is another app out there that will work.....hmm
  12. powergal

powergal New Member

rooting is the act of gaining root access to a device, giving yourself privileges to work around limitations.usually Iphones have to jailbreaked to make it access with third party applications.
    unlocking is the act of removing restrictions from a device, allowing different providers / countries.Rooting will never unlock your phone.If you need an unlocking.This might help you http://www.theunlockspot.com.
    To root your samsung mobile, first download and install the Android SDK
    The Android Debug Bridge (ADB) is an excellent tool which lets you manage your phone from your computer. It is included in the Android ASK installation alongwith USB drivers for your phone.
    Download this file: update.zip and copy it to your SD card.
    Connect your mobile to your PC via USB and use the ADB console to type this command:
    adb reboot recovery
    In the recovery menu, select “apply sdcard:update.zip” by pressing Home + Volume_Down
    Your mobile will now reboot and is successfully rooted. You now have root access to your phone as a Super User.