1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Update for Android market?

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by Andriod Newbie, Dec 12, 2011.

1. Andriod Newbie

Bronze

Dec 10, 2011

Sponsored Ad

Ok so i have an lg esteem can i still post? My question is....i got a notification that there is am update for the Android market and asks me to download. Can i trust these notifications? Is there a way to know if the are legit? I ask cuz sometimes i get dating notifications for singles and i am married and don't visit those sites...so it is just marketing. Any one know?

Sent from my LG-MS910 using Everything Android

2. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    The Android Market should update itself without notifying you...are you sure it was an Android Market update?

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. Andriod Newbie

Bronze

Dec 10, 2011
    Positive...that is what it said. I almost clicked to update and then thought better and decided to come here first to ask.

5. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    Must be a Nook thing then...I don't see why it wouldn't be ok to update it.

6. Andriod Newbie

Bronze

Dec 10, 2011
    No this was on my phone. It said update market to see all new apps. I got it again but disregarded. I think it must be spam.

7. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    I am new here and don't even have an Android phone yet, but is it possible a user can allow the system to update with no intervention or to require a prompt before updating as is the case with many other systems.

Maybe the OP originally selected Prompt Before Updating and that is why the message is being received?

8. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    For system updates it should always ask you, but for market updates I have never been asked. That's why I am thinking it could be a B&N Nook thing, especially if they are running a variant of the Android Market...

9. sherri

Gold

Jun 29, 2007
    Sounds to me like OP is being notified that there are updates available to him in the market. Open the market from your phone. Tap "my downloads". All you apps will be listed. If updates for your apps are available, it will say so.

Before you "update" the app though, I suggest reading the review and comments posted. Some updates are not always better than the original.

As for getting notifications sent to you for advertising and services, it sounds like you installed an app that install "air push". I have had the phone for over 2 years. Some apps have ads IN them, but I have never been sent a notification of this sort. Look at the apps you installed and check.

Sent from my DROID using Tapatalk

10. Andriod Newbie

Bronze

Dec 10, 2011
    Ok so i looked at my downloaded apps and there were some updates needed. I went ahead and updated, but i will read comments next time since you said some updates aren't better. It could be that i was being notified for those updates. I will see if i get any more notifications.

11. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    Ok so they were just individual apps, that happens often as devs update their apps.

12. sherri

Gold

Jun 29, 2007
    I got one right, Scott!

Sent from my DROID using Tapatalk

13. UWTELECOM

UWTELECOM New Member

Jan 26, 2012
    I believe that for the automatic update process you gotta set it up on your phone applications options, is like you gotta give the phone permission to to this by itself, check it out