1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Upgrading To Jelly Bean?

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by Spudster, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Spudster

Spudster New Member

Jan 24, 2013

Sponsored Ad

Hey I am currently running Android 3.2 on my Samsung Galaxy 8.9 Tab, Wondering if its possible to upgrade to the latest verstion of Jelly Bean 4.2? If so could it cause any damage like bricking? And could there be data lose that I can backup?If it is please give me few links on how to.

Thanks in advance, Spudster

2. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    Is it connected to a carrier or WiFi only, I am seeing upgrades to 4.0 pop up but they look like carrier pushed updates. You can root (and unlock the device, which would cause you to lose data) and flash a custom Jelly Bean ROM.

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. Spudster

Spudster New Member

Jan 24, 2013
    its currently connected to A carrier 24 month contract, It also includes WiFi. I dont like the idea of bricking while on a contract.

5. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Sounds like you are asking about upgrading to an OS not currently offered by your carrier. Yes, it can be done and many do it without incident.

However, no one can offer you a guarantee that something will definitely not happen. Although unlikely things do happen and if you have even the slightest concern then perhaps you should not go the custome route and instead wait to see if your provider offers the upgrade down the road.

Incidentally, completely bricking a device with no possibility to recover while trying to customize is pretty rare, but it can and does happen.

6. Spudster

Spudster New Member

Jan 24, 2013
    Think I should wait till they have this update avliable, I have just went to their forums and the ICS update is coming late next month. I,m currently on 3.0 Honey Comb. As for rooting I have rooted before and 5 minutes later it soft bricked it self Also wondering if its safe to re root and if it does Hard Brick could you retrive it back to an normal state?

7. sherri

Gold

Jun 29, 2007
    Being honest. I have Galaxy 10.1 WiFi only version. Came with Honeycomb. Rooted, installed ICS...Not a huge difference/improvement. Was running Tasks ROM....Haven't upgraded to JB. For what I use it for, it is fine.

Also not upgrading my phone, as I need certain features only available in the ROM I have...

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 2

8. Spudster

Spudster New Member

Jan 24, 2013
    I am tempted to re-root again But the only probablem is the tablet doesent fully belong to me as Im on A contract to pay it off So if it bricked to An unrecoverable state I will still need to keep paying for A bricked device monthly.

9. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Spudster, no one can decide for you.

What is it that you think you need to root in order to gain? Is there a function you want or is it just for the challenge? Are you not happy with the device's performance?

10. Spudster

Spudster New Member

Jan 24, 2013
    From what Ive read up those manual updates come as ROMs, And I like to keep the device upto date with the latest android and I like the new features in the new update(ability to switch user accounts, like on windows)