1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

voice commands?

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by bheidemann, Nov 11, 2009.

1. bheidemann

Bronze

Jul 30, 2007

Sponsored Ad

Is there a list somewhere that details all the voice command you can use? I just found out last night by watching a commercial that you can click the magnifying glass and say "Navigate to McDonalds" and the built in turn by turn will kick in and route to the closet McDonalds. You can always say "Call Bob mobile" and it will call Bob's mobile. The problem is those are the only two I know. If anyone has a list please share! :)

2. dragonfly

Bronze

Mar 27, 2007
    Those are the only 2 im aware of im going to try to say "navigate to dad" and see if it loads up my turn by turn to his work or what it does. This is something i learned like 2 days before the phone was launched during a video on google.com/navigation

Also noticed that when saying "navigate to..." and an address that you cant really say a number on the address because it gets confused sometimes so i just say "navigate to..." and the road name and town and then its all good.

Would love to learn any other new tricks, im thinking maybe like "call papa johns rockaway, nj" and seeing if it calls papa johns right away or if it takes me to the web first.

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. bheidemann

Bronze

Jul 30, 2007
    I am able to say addresses. "Navigate to 550 street name city name" and it goes

5. techguru

techguru New Member

Aug 24, 2007
    The Google Voice SEarch seems to be limited to searches, call, and navigate to.

The Voice Dial app, you can also say "open" and the name of an app and you can say "Dial" and a number.

Neither seems to offer control of the music player, which is something I liked in Microsoft Voice Command on Windows Mobile.

I would like to see these functions all combined in a single app so I don't need to know which one to use, and of course I would like to be able to start either one of them with the call button on my Bluetooth headset.

This is probably my only serious complaint about the Droid.

Alan

6. dragonfly

Bronze

Mar 27, 2007

If thats your only serious complaint about the droid than you are all good :dft003:cool at least we have service and a map for that :dft011:tounge_out

7. techguru

techguru New Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Absolutely. I love the Droid. The few little issues I have are certainly things that can be fixed by Google or 3rd party developers. Maybe even me if I can find any time to learn the SDK.

Just a few little nits that come from using Windows Mobile for more than seven years and needing to learn the differences.

Alan

8. dragonfly

Bronze

Mar 27, 2007
    I hear ya on that note, mine was 5 years experience with winmo.

9. TheMadJester

Bronze

Jul 14, 2009
    omg! i used to live at 552 street name, city name!

yeah, but didn't you have to train the ms voice command crapware? that's why i held out for a moto android device, because moto's voice command software is second to none.

10. gnath9

Silver

Feb 10, 2009
    hahaha .... I can just picture you talking to your phone like that girl in I-Robot in Will's apartment trying to control his record player. :005:snicker

6 more days !!!

11. techguru

techguru New Member

Aug 24, 2007

No, Microsoft Voice Command is speaker independent, no training. Some of the phones had other voice dialers that needed training, but the ones that had Voice Command were great. Cyberion Voice Commander was pretty good too, but MSVC worked better for me.

The new Tellme app for Windows Phone 6.5 is amazing. Not likely to see it for Android though, it is a Microsoft subsidiary.

Alan