1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Warranty void

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by nothingtofear, Oct 25, 2012.

1. nothingtofear

nothingtofear Member

Oct 25, 2012

Sponsored Ad

Is it true..that if we root the phone..the phone warranty is void??

2. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    That is correct.

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. nothingtofear

nothingtofear Member

Oct 25, 2012
    ok...Thanks!!

5. Spudster

Spudster New Member

Jan 24, 2013
    what happends if you un root?

6. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    As long as it is back to 100% stock, you MIGHT be able to do warranty work, but the manufacturer/carrier would have to suspect rooting, and verify. If so them you wouldn't be covered under warranty.

7. norman grey

norman grey New Member

Jan 29, 2013
    It's easy to check if the phone has been rooted once even if it's brought back to its original condition. It's best to try rooting an Android phone after one year which is usually the time when its warranty expires.

8. Jimbofoshow

Jimbofoshow New Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Wbat does your warranty actually cover? Most likely not water damage or being dropped or broken screens. The only thing that typically goes wrong that the warranty will cover is maybe a broken usb port and thats only if its determined a defect and not abuse. Every warranty case ive ever seen was just a bricked tablet. If you are smart enought to unlock, root, install recoveries, and custom roms ill bet your smart enough to unbrick your device as well. I voided my Nexus 7 warranty within 30 minutes of taking it out of the box. There is nothing the warranty covers that i cannot fix.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Everything Android

9. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    That may be true for you, but not everyone has the time to devote to learning all the ins and outs of these devices and some people are just not comfortable jumping into the root pool. Doesn't make them bad people.....

As far as the warranty goes I have actually been able to get replacements for three or four of my daughter's phones through the years (not Androids) and a couple included broken screens and one was due to water damage. That was under Assurion warranties. I have also utilized service provider warranties within 90 days. I probably could have sat down to figure something out, but making a call, receiving a replacement next day air and sending the old one back is a heck of a lot easier......

Just sayin'......

10. Jimbofoshow

Jimbofoshow New Member

Feb 14, 2013
    I understand. Ive had cracked screens and water damage and Verizon told me to get lost.

Galaxy Nexus with JB Sourcery 4.2.1 and Trinity Kernel. Overclocked to 1.6ghz

11. lopezam

lopezam New Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Not in European Comunity.

In USA is FORBIDEN by law.

Enviado desde mi GT-I9300 usando Everything Android

12. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Please explain exactly what you mean is forbidden by law in the USA, but not in Europe.