1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Was my backup successful?

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by Arthur Hakhverdian, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Arthur Hakhverdian

Arthur Hakhverdian New Member

Oct 28, 2012

Sponsored Ad

Hi guys.
    I followed a video tutorial to back up my phone’s image using CWM and certain things didn’t feel quite right: The process was over far sooner than expected and the total size of the resulting backup files was under 2GB. My PC shows 8.28 GB free of 11.9 GB under SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 device, so I expected a larger backup (About 3.62GB?).

Here’s the output I was getting during the backup process:
    Code:
    CWM-base Recovery v5. 5. 0. 4
    SD Card space free: 15185MB
    Backing up boot image...
    Backing up recovery image...
    Backing up system...
    Backing up data...
    N /sdcard/.android_secure found. Skipping backup of applications on external storage.
    Backing up cache...
    No sd-ext found. Skipping backup of sd-ext
    Generating md5 sum...

Backup complete!
    I just want to be sure that I have a complete backup before wiping my phone, installing a ROM, etc.

Thanks

2. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    It was backed up to your SD card and NOT your device. Check there for the file.
    But that code you posted looks like what I see on my devices.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. Arthur Hakhverdian

Arthur Hakhverdian New Member

Oct 28, 2012
    Thanks for the reply, Scott.;)
    Yes, I'm aware that unless otherwise specified, it backs up to the external SD card. As I mentioned, the backup files amounted to less than 2GB, as opposed to my calculated 3.62GB. What could account for the difference, compression? Is it even fair to expect the backup size to equal used space subtracted from total space? Is there anything else to factor in?
    Sorry for the stream of silly questions but I'm still a n00b.:X3:

Thanks again.

5. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    Yes, I believe it is compressed, kind of like a zip file on a computer.

• Like Like x 1