Droid Watch out if you drop it: Shattered Glass

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid Phones' started by GaryL, Nov 20, 2009.

1. GaryL

GaryL New Member

My Droid slipped out of a BB holster I was using and fell from waist level to the pavement. I heard it land but didn't see how it hit.

The Droid was lying screen up and the glass was shattered like a spider web. Dramatic. I don't think there was a single piece of glass more than a 1/4 inch in diameter.

They sent out a replacement Droid right away, (new not refurbished). Just the same I dropped my Storm several times without cracking the glass let alone shattering it like this.

I took a picture, I'll see if I can post it.

Be Careful.

GaryL

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2014
  2. dragonfly

Bronze

I've accidentally dropped my droid too since sometimes i have it in my lap in the car when its not in the car dock and its never broken *Knock on wood* so its not all drops will cause but noone should ever willingly drop their phone unless of course you have that boulder phone from vzw that you can drop from wherever put it in water and even make calls from under the water haha.

your best bet is to get the car dock so it doesnt happen again :dft003:cool plus not to mention the car dock is the best accessory for the droid.

3. Avatar

Sponsored Advertisement

4. n99hockey

wow that looks terrible!

im guessing you have the insurace on it otherwise they wouldnt be sending you one..

5. manic

Bronze

Ouch... that must have been some fall. I had a Motorola rokr and dropped it. The screen cracked but only in the corner. I will be taking better care of my Droid!

6. chris

Administrator

Wow, sorry to see that. Glad to hear they are taking care of you and sending out a new one.

7. jonesboy6

jonesboy6 New Member

Thanks for the heads up!

8. TheMadJester

Bronze

being a former cell phone technician. i would just like to point out a couple of things. the phone is made of glass and metal. so obviously if it drops something it gotta give. if you ever drop a cell phone and nothing happens, then you're lucky. also, it was in a blackberry case which wasn't made for the droid. i always discouraged customers from reusing cases from other phones because they didn't fit properly. and these are very expensive complex electronic devices. they are actually very expensive. verizon and other cell carries actually sell you the phone with contract at a loss. they are probably paying 60% of the retail cost for the phone and then they sell it to you at about half what they paid for it. because they know they'll make it up with the 2 years of service. that's why when you break a contract you have to pay a fee. to cover the cost of the phone. sometimes you can talk them into talking the phone back instead of paying the fee. i say this because you should always get insurance. unless you have a backup phone. people would always complain to me that it wasn't their fault. well, if a rock hits your windshield while you're driving who has to pay for a new windshield? you do. and if you have insurance then you pay a deductible. exactly. just my two cents worth from a former technician.

9. sherri

Gold

First, I have insurance. (I just took the insurance off my 3 year old Q a few months ago...also, I just took it off my daughters 2 year old LGEnV2, because the phone isn't worth the deductible. If she should damage or lose it, she is due for an upgrade, and newer phones are less...)

That being said, many car insurance carriers (if you have glass coverage) do not charge a deductible for a windshield. (You pay it in premium...) Yes, I am in the business...:dft012:wink

10. gnath9

Silver

I am just curious ... has anyone else dropped their Droid, if so what happend ?

11. Boycan

Boycan New Member

I have the black rubber body glove case from vzw and have dropped it twice, hard on concrete so far not a hiccup. And I wouldnt have a phone without ins. unless my two yrs were up.

12. TheMadJester

Bronze

i see what you're saying. but most people aren't as educated as us when it comes to insurance policies. and for the record, i have personally had to pay a deductible for having my windshield replaced. i'm guessing now that it was just a crappy insurance plan.

when i take my droid out of the car dock it almost always falls onto the floor of the car after bouncing off the steering wheel, seat and door. so far nothing has happened.

13. gnath9

Silver

Lol.... must have something to do with the Booze. :dft011:tounge_out

14. TheMadJester

Bronze

lol. normally i would agree with you, but it happens every other time i take it out of the dock.

15. gnath9

Silver

Sounds like maybe the adjustment screws are not tight enough. Mine was vibrating the screen at idle so I then cranked on the screws very hard... it sits very solid now.

Or you just need some more practice.

:dft012:wink

16. TheMadJester

Bronze

yeah, i just need practice. it doesn't fall out by any means. it's just when i go to pull it out i always drop it. it's all my fault. :dft011:tounge_out

17. gnath9

Silver

It is nice to know it can take a tumble. Crankin them screws really did make a world of difference but, I think its pretty much stuck there...lol

18. ranjo105

Bronze

Dropped right out of the box

The droid is NOT anchored very well in the box it came in. So when I opened it it fell out since it was facing down. It fell onto the surface of a table and then slipped off and fell onto the carpet. Right out of the box brand new. Fortunately, nothing happened. I called for insurance...

19. jim9112

jim9112 New Member

I have done the set it on your lap while driving, forget it is there then watch in horror as it hits the pavement once already. I have the blue plastic clip on case. Even though the case didn't survive the fall my droid did