1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

What are the 2 spots to the left of the earpiece?

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by nesknowitall, Nov 16, 2009.

1. nesknowitall

nesknowitall New Member

Apr 19, 2008

Sponsored Ad

I caught a glimpse of my DROID in the light and noticed there were two spots to the left of the earpiece similar to the 2 to the right of the earpiece. Anyone know what they are and what they are for? I know the 2 to the right of the earpiece are the ambiet light sensor and the notification LED.

2. gnath9

Silver

Feb 10, 2009
    I've read that one is a proximity sensor so the phone disables the screen while on a call.

2 more days !!!

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. animal

Bronze

Nov 16, 2009
    two spots would kind of make sense. under a flashlight one looks like a smd led. if one were an ir led and the other an ir phototransistor the light would reflect off your skin since its not completely flush with your head when your talking. this would be the "proximity" sensor they hype. (hypothetical)

The other clearer one to the right is a normal phototransistor for lighting the keypad and touch keys in a dark environment. "smart phone" just doesn't do this phone justice.