1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

what is RILD and why does my battery suck??

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by Kymblee, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Kymblee

Kymblee New Member

Mar 1, 2012

Sponsored Ad

Hi - I am a first time droid owner- just made the jump (finally) from my very familiar old blackberry last week to a Droid. (I Got a Droid 4) because I need a physical keyboard. Forgive me if this has been answered but I searched and found no threads relating.
    I am very happy so far, VERY- loving this droid and no regrets on switching....except the battery is horrible. I mean AWFUL. Example: At 10:00 am this morning, the battery is at 15% after being plugged in all night and being at 100% at 8 am. I am thinking, even to an old-school blackberry user like me, this cannot be right!
    So I look at the battery usage at some mysterious thing called RILD is using up about 47% of my battery. What are you, rild, and how do I stop you? I have shut off GPS and wi-fi. I have shut off social networking.
    Advice from veterans, or even from better informed newbies would be greatly appreciated as I am deeply in love with my droid and don't want our honeymoon spoiled so soon....
    maybe my blackberry has cursed me from the grave.

Thanks any and all for reading and commenting!
    Kym

PS is there any way besides going into the system files to get rid of the NFL thing? Laugh at me if I've asked a silly question, I do not mind. I am new here. part of being new is being laughed at.

• Like Like x 1
  2. dgray636

Bronze

Aug 22, 2010
    I am not exactly sure what RILD is, so I won't attempt to guess. One thing on the battery is how is your 4G signal? If it isn't that strong, that will also have an impact. Also, the only way to get rid of the NFL bloatware is to root your device. That will void the warranty on your device. And if you screw something up could cause undesired performance.

Sent from my DROIDX using Everything Android

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Hi Kym and welcome to eA.

I too joined the Android nation from the BB nation. I am not as in love with the little green guy yet, but it has been okay except for a few bumps. Battery life is one of them.

I am not sure, but I believe the RILD may be associated with your 4G service. I do not have 4G so I will not see that as it is turned off. Do you have 4G and if so is it a strong signal? 4G will chew up and spit out batteries. If you are in a fringe area that will be even worse as the handset gets and loses the signal and searches over and over.

Try turning 4G off and see if that improves it any. We will discuss more battery saving tips later, but let's see if we can identify the mystery first.

5. Kymblee

Kymblee New Member

Mar 1, 2012
    HI I have returned to update on this post and let you all know what I have discovered in the past couple of months with my droid and the rild.
    I guess I should say that I have a droid 4, so I do not know if this will work on anything else.
    So....the first time,I solved it as simply as this: holding down the top button (sorry I don't know what it is called? reset? Turn on?) and volume down button together to reset the phone. I did this because when I opened the back, I saw I couldn't remove the battery but instructions told me this was how I could restart it instead) When it came back on, the rild was gone and in its place was "sim card"...which soon disappeared. The gave me an idea and the next time the rild appeared (which I always know because the back of my phone gets very hot), I immediately took out my sim card and put it back in, reset the phone, shut it off and powered down, then left it plugged in, and powered down, for an hour or two. Sometimes over night, if this happens late in the day.
    and this has, so far, taken care of the problem.
    When I turn the phone back on, the back is no longer hot, and the rild is gone when I look at battery use.
    It seems like a pain in the butt, but losing my battery power by 10 am is worse, and I don't want to be phoneless while I send it in, either.
    So there are my personal adventures in rild land and I invite anyone else to share their own.
    still loving my druh OID....

6. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Coming back to update us is really appreciated.

Did you ever try just turning off 4G? Is there an option to do that on your Droid 4? If is is the 4G service, which is entirely possible, that would be a lot easier than what you are doing....

Just curious.

7. Kymblee

Kymblee New Member

Mar 1, 2012
    hi and thanks for your warm welcome(s) :)
    Actually, where I live, in Podunk Middle o'Nowheres, we are still on 3G.. I should have said this already. Yes, I disabled 4G, or I think I did. To do this, I followed the suggestions given:
    Number one: I turned off wi-fi. I went into my settings-wireless&networks- wi-fi, I turned off
    Number two: I went into my settings-wireless&networks-mobile networks-network mode and chose CDMA only

Anyway, I use 3G only here, and my 4G has been shut off from day one, so I am pretty certain that's not the rild problem. At least not with my phone.

I hope this makes sense...wish I were more techie. I know I am not going to root it, as I am not techie enough and I don't want to void the warranty. I've had to replace phones using insurance too many times.

8. Chancellor

Chancellor New Member

Apr 19, 2012
    That sounds completely off :-(. Id go to the Verizon store and explain to them the problem. I never recommend refurb phones but if you can get a new one go for it ;-) if you did FR and that didn't fix the problem, and you don't have any rogue apps, Verizon store IMHO.

9. Jason Shrout

Jason Shrout New Member

Oct 3, 2012
    Radio Interface Layer (RIL) is a layer in an operating system which provides an interface to the hardware's radio and modem on e.g. a mobile phone. If you are familiar with linux systems you know that most processes that end in a 'd' such as 'httpd' is apache web service daemon for hosting web pages (basically a web server) 'sshd' is the secure shell process for hosting secure remote CLI (command line interface) for remote management and a secure alternative to 'telnetd'. Daemon equals 'Server Application Process'. So now that the basics out of the way lets explore where the service originated from and how it works...

The Android Open Source Project provides a Radio Interface Layer (RIL) between Android telephony services (android.telephony) and the radio hardware.

It consists of a stack of two components: a RIL Daemon and a Vendor RIL. The RIL Daemon talks to the telephony services and dispatches "solicited commands" to the Vendor RIL. The Vendor RIL is specific to a particular radio implementation, and dispatches "unsolicited commands" up to the RIL Daemon.

Now if you are familiar with networking we can explore what is actually happening... performing the 'netstat -natp' command discloses the phones listening and established connections along with the processes or services associated with them. The rild service is configured to listen on the phones loopback address (127.0.0.1) on TCP Port 8888. This way anyone on the internet cannot connect to the service and perform commands and browse for intrusions... the phone basically can only connect to itself. The android.telephony process initiates the connection to the rild service and gives commands and recieves data and adjusts things such as whether EVDO (3G radio interface) or CDMA (1G/2G radio interface) is used among other functions and features. A good way to view all the commands that the android.telephony service does and how the hardware responds using rild would be to do a packet capture on the phone using tcpdump or WireShark. Most likely the service is not encrypted since it was not designed for remote connections but I could be wrong since newer network protocols strive for end-to-end security in design and makes no assumption how the server will be used.

Now to address the battery life!! Fortunately the newer phones even with faster processors and more cores are improving batteries and their lives in a short amount of time. Remember like legacy computers... less equals more! Turn off processes that are not needed. Close programs not in use. More RAM is better than more processor when hardware and battery life is to be considered. Use one (1) application to save battery life. Also use one (1) application to throttle the processor up and down to save battery life. I use AnTuTu for both as they have a series of applications that work together if you download them. In terms of rild eating battery life... get the MSL code and perform ##data# in the dialer to tune most radio interfaces and their tolerance.

Finally remember a batteries overall affective life and peformance is based on power!! Do not keep your phone plugged in and charging when its FULL. If the phone is fully charged before you go to bed unplug it and disable eeverything except the phone and or alarm. Make sure the screen goes off. Finally remember that these android phones are no different then computers... they ARE computers and the practices that took place in the 90's and early 2000's should be used. Recently we have gotten sloppy because processing power and RAM are so cheap that many individuals have no clue that performance can be greatly improved or regressed based on how you use the system. A fresh install with the latest android version may be the best solution... and I mean not what your service provider distributes as they are all neglegent in OS releases. They dont care about performance and most of all security... so when they tell you that your warranty is void for rooting and updating simply indicate that there were major security releases that they failed to patch and you had to upgrade and that they dont want to be responsible for your identity being stolen or PII being in the hands of hackers.

Hope all this helps and good luck!

10. Jason Shrout

Jason Shrout New Member

Oct 3, 2012
    One final note... HTC devices are notoriously known for having awful battery life. Keep your head on and up and test things that work best for you. Use cyanogenmod to get android 4.1 on that bad boy and I can promise you its life will greatly out perform what both your service provider and your hardware provider shipped as they always stop OS releases which is a huge step back in best-practices in both development of drivers and security. OS releases is not like Microsoft where they add and take up more resources. Its linux and upgrades improve speeds because of better coding.

11. sherri

Gold

Jun 29, 2007
    Great information, Jason, but I have a question regarding charging when full. Many phones come with docking station. (As a separate purchase, usually...) These docking stations usually turn phone into a clock mode, where is acts like a digital clock. The docks also charge phone. My OG Droid sits in dock 99% of the time....

Suggestions for this situation?

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

12. Jason Shrout

Jason Shrout New Member

Oct 3, 2012
    Excellent question Sherri! Now first lets discuss the types common types of chargers out there...
    1. AC adapters
    2. USB adapters
    3. Analog docking station (low-end)
    4. Digital docking station (high-end)
    The first three rely heavily on the system kernel. Meaning when the battery life is 100% the kernel is going to receive instructions as what to do. This is constantly happening whether the phone is charging or not. The 4th is a digital docking station... this may or may not take advantage of features that are implemented in today's laptops but the concept as far as i know originated in MacBooks... this feature is known as Adaptive Charging. Adaptive Charging is a form of dynamically changing the voltage by the docking station (or charging device maybe by a USB connection to a computer thus controlled by the driver installed on the computer) when it detects the device is fully charged. I previously mentioned the kernel deciding what to do when the phone is fully charged... same concept as adaptive charging but its not performed by the devices power adapter but instead performed by the device itself. The most productive way to increase the battery life of any smart phone is to take advantage of the ROM's compatible with your phone that have updated kernels. Since service providers made it a common pkor practice not to update their ROM's you must take it upon yourself to first root the device (root is the administrator account on ALL linux systems) and then find an updayed ROM for your hardware. This is the same idea as installing Microsoft Windows on different PC's and finsing the correct drivers. A valid ROM for your hardware has all the device specific drivers with it. Someday we will be at a point where all drivers are included in Android and auto-detect on an install instead of placing a precompiled ROM on a specific device. Also remember that battery technology is constantly improving the more we invest in these devices but still try to keep to traditional legacy methods of preservation as they will still be the most effective until the technology is better perfected.

Hope this helps!

13. theclimber

theclimber New Member

Oct 30, 2012
    I own a Motorola Atrix and the only way I can get it to last 24 hours is by turning off the following services:
    wifi, bluetooth and GPS, not even mentioning that I don' use the phone a lot, otherwise the phone'd go off before the work day ends. Hope one day manufacturers find a way to make batteries last long.