1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

What Verizon Voice/Data plans are you selecting?

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by searljd, Nov 10, 2009.

1. searljd

searljd New Member

Nov 10, 2009

Sponsored Ad

What voice and data plans is everyone selecting? What are you finding adequate to take advantage of the Droid features and most popular apps?

2. Neutrino

Bronze

Sep 30, 2009
    Just the basic family share plan - 1400 minutes, plus the $30 data plan. Later, when tethering is offered, an additional $15/mos.

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. TheMadJester

Bronze

Jul 14, 2009
    we have a family share 1400 minutes plan, 3 lines: 2 lines with $30 data plans each (running Droid and Ozone), and our "house" phone is a Razr that just sits on my desk.

i though tethering is supposed to be an additional $30 per month? or is the $15 for less transfer?

5. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    you should choose however many minutes you think you will need...the wife and i only have a 700 minute plan (granted its not on a droid but the phone doesnt matter what minutes you choose)
    then of course the $30 data plan thats required

6. bberryhill0

Silver

Feb 14, 2009
    Correct. The $15 is for Exchange access. So full data access is $75/month. $30 for phone data plus $15 for Exchange plus $30 for tethering. The two $30 unlimited data plans are limited to 5GB/month so you get 10GB/month. I haven't seen anything about overage charges. USCC charges $0.50/MB so if VZW is comparable you could be looking at $500/GB.

7. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    thats not correct
    exchange is included in the $30 plan...if you want to use verizons exchange its an extra $15...just like a BB or WM plan

-Sent from my Q9n

8. gnath9

Silver

Feb 10, 2009
    I have the verizon family loyalty plan its $50.00 for two lines shareing 550 minutes. It also comes with a pool of 500 minutes to be used for overages. (wich never happens) every year. My line has the $29.99 data and I also put the $5.00 per line 250 text plan. $89.99 per month. I did call VZW to verify my plan is compatible for the Droid upgrade that I will be doing on the 15th. I am hopeing the Droid lands at my house on the 18th. :thumbup:

7 more days !!!

9. chris

Administrator

Jun 1, 2006
    I'm in for the basic 450 plus unlimited data. Since I'm using Google Voice, I opted for the 250 message pack for $5.

10. TheMadJester

Bronze

Jul 14, 2009
    if it's an "unlimited" data plan how can it be limited to 5gb/month? lol

i think i read somewhere the overages are $50/GB you go over.

11. Neutrino

Bronze

Sep 30, 2009
    Be very careful with the TOS associated with unlimited data plans. The caps have been imposed to limit bandwidth hogs. AT&T's CEO has publicly come out and said that iPhone users truly have unlimited data. Other users, both on VZW and AT&T have gotten nailed, throttled or dropped.

Word to the wise: respect the caps. If you go slightly over (~100 megs), you should be OK. Considerably more, and your account will at the least be flagged for further tracking.

12. gnath9

Silver

Feb 10, 2009

I have been watching my data usage online. Its almost impossible to exceed the 5gigs. I have palringo running 24/7 and I watch TV thru joost.com (since hulu blocked it) listen to pandora alot, download lots of mail and am always on forums or other websites. I have never even gotten close to 1gig. If you tether alot then its probally a good idea to watch the data.
    also with all the capabilities of the Droid ... it may be a data hog :dft009:smile

7 more days !!!

13. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    we had a few members over at EWM go well over 5gb...but you really have to try to do it...

14. teddyearp

Bronze

May 21, 2009
    This is just about exactly the same plan structure I have, and everything works just fine. And when you get your Droid, you will be a very happy camper, indeed.

15. bberryhill0

Silver

Feb 14, 2009
    Thanks hockey. I wondered how they could charge for Gmail Exchange or your company's Exchange. The article I read didn't mention that VZW had their own Exchange server.

16. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    no worries
    its called verizon wireless sync
    but with the droid there is really no need to use it...gmail pushed directly to the device kind of defeats the purpose

when the first changed the plans to add a $30 plan people werent sure what they meant when it said exchange service required the $45 plan...turns out they meant there own exchange like service

they could really have no way of knowing if you used your own exchange service