1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Who is picking up a Epic today?

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by dwp1975, Aug 31, 2010.

1. dwp1975

Bronze

May 19, 2008

Sponsored Ad

Anyone already in line? lol.

Despite my dislike of sliders and the UI Samsung uses, this device for some reason has me very interested. I think this is the first Android phone not running Sense UI that I seriously interested in.

2. shaun0207

Bronze

Feb 14, 2007
    I got the Epic this morning for my wife.

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. dwp1975

Bronze

May 19, 2008
    What does she think of it so far? How's the build quality?

5. shaun0207

Bronze

Feb 14, 2007
    I got it for her and took it home. She hasn't seen it yet. But I thought the quality was great. The screen was gorgeous. I was surprised to see that there wasn't more people people out to get it this morning. There was only 3 people at the Sprint Store in my area this morning.

6. chris

Administrator

Jun 1, 2006
    The screen looks awesome, well at least what I've seen in photos.

I suspect a few more Palm Pre users will jump to the Epic 4G.

7. dwp1975

Bronze

May 19, 2008
    I think Samsung's "wiztouch" may be what's keeping interest low. It's a very blantant iOS wannabe and is what is keeping me at bay. Once you go HTC Sunse UI it's hard to enjoy Android any other way except plain vanilla. I hate moto blur and not too fond of touch wiz.

8. shaun0207

Bronze

Feb 14, 2007
    Yeah, I think TouchWiz is too cartoonish. I know there has to be away to get Sense UI on it

9. chris

Administrator

Jun 1, 2006
    I prefer stock. At some point, it might be a good idea for these manufacturers to offer an option to "turn off" their overlays. I'm sure that's a pretty complicated process, but would be a valuable selling tool. Don't like TouchWiz, MotoBlur, Sense...turn it off and go stock.

10. shaun0207

Bronze

Feb 14, 2007
    I would think its pretty easy, since they allow you to use other launchers like Launcher Pro, etc...

11. dwp1975

Bronze

May 19, 2008
    I'd be happy to just use plain vanilla Android....lol

12. dwp1975

Bronze

May 19, 2008
    Awww come on, how can you not like Sense UI? At first I too didn't care for it b/c it made it look like a Windows Mobile phone but once I got my first HTC Android device I was hooked, being a UI/UX guy I was happy to see how fluid Sense UI is...

13. rambo47

rambo47 New Member

Aug 31, 2010
    Picked up my Epic 4G today and put my BlackBerry 9650 on the shelf. For now. In the past I've jumped ship from BlackBerry and always went running back, tail between my legs. The top shelf in my computer room is littered with past mistakes, like the Palm Pre and a bunch of Nokia phones.

I would also appreciate the option to turn off the overlay. I like Touch Wiz UI enough so far, but more customizing options is always a good thing. I'm such an Android noob that I have no reference against which to judge Touch Wiz.

14. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    Welcome to eA!!

15. dwp1975

Bronze

May 19, 2008
    I've run back to my BB man a times before, now I just keep a BB as my 2nd device to use as my personal phone and keep my droid/iphone/Pre as my business/app tester devices. Go to a Sprint store and play with a EVO or Hero, you'll quickly see the magic of Sense UI. It's the only UI I prefer to plain vanilla Android.

16. cruiser771

cruiser771 New Member

Sep 5, 2010
    I picked up my Epic on lauch day, planned it perfectly and put my iPhone on ebay a week before and shipped it out moments after getting home from the Sprint store, and 2 days before the end of my billing cycle. I asked the girl about the lack of lines and she told me they did things differently than with the Evo launch. This time, they made appointments, so there was no lines or first come first serve going on. Also, touchwiz can be turned off, its one of the first things I did. Settings>Applications>Manage Applications>Filter "All">TwLauncher>Clear Defaults

17. bberryhill0

Silver

Feb 14, 2009
    I used to use the app Home Switcher to quickly go between Sense and vanilla to compare them. I just noticed that xtrSense doesn't have vanilla so I can't compare them anymore. I stayed with Sense for the People widget. The ability to drag home screen icons into folders is also cool, this becomes important when you get over 50 apps.

Sent from my Eris running xtrSense 3.

18. Weapondrift

Gold

Feb 1, 2008
    Im switching between ADW launcer and Sense right now. I tried PandaHome ADW and Sense once and got all kinds of confused lol.

19. rambo47

rambo47 New Member

Aug 31, 2010
    My biggest fear in switching from BlackBerry to Android was email handling. Communication is my #1 priority so ditching the king of email worried me. But I just HAD to experience that creamy goodness that is the 4" AMOLED screen. I did this before, jumping from a BlackBerry to some multimedia device. The Nokia N95 comes to mind. I really liked Nokias and even tried the E90 and E71 when the N95 proved inept at messaging. The E-series proved much better for my needs but I realized I was trying to turn it into a BlackBerry with aftermarket apps.So I did the smart thing and went back to a BlackBerry. Next came the Palm Pre. Oooh, touch screen plus keyboard! As a former Treo user I still had a soft (but suspicious) spot in my heart (and maybe a soft spot in my head) for Palm so I once again put down my BlackBerry, ported my number from AT&T to Sprint, and got me a Palm Pre on day 1 of availability. I kept the Sprint service, which turned out to be much better in my area than AT&T service, but I went running back to BlackBerrys yet again.

Now my Bold 9650 is on my shelf and I'm giving Android a shot. So far I'm loving it. The Epic has a unified inbox like the BlackBerry, and exchange account support is superb. I've found substitutes for most of the BB apps I relied on with one or two exceptions. REXwireless made some expensive but powerful apps I used on several different BlackBerrys and there is nothing like them for Android. Two apps at $60 each are tough to leave behind, but I'm adjusting. Slowly.

If anybody finds something like IdeaMatrix by REXwireless, please give me a shout!

20. dwp1975

Bronze

May 19, 2008
    Yeah, it's tough to walk away from a BB when you are dependent upon e-mail. My Eris had a real bad problem with not pulling new emails to where I had to use my iPhone to pull my emails until I could figure out the email handling issue. I still use my Blackberry as a backup phone that pulls my mission critical emails (i.e. server monitors).