1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Why Does my Samsung Galaxy S2 Fail to do a System Update?

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by Dr.twinkies325, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Dr.twinkies325

Dr.twinkies325 New Member

Dec 5, 2013

Sponsored Ad

Whenever i turn my Samsung Galaxy s2/Epic 4g touch it asks me to update it. i usually ignore it ,but when i want to update it it fails. It does reboot but when its Downloading the update it stops and shows a caution sign. Whys that? I currently have 2.3.6 Gingerbread and it wants to update to 4.0.4 Ice cream sandwich.

2. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    Any error messages?
    Are you rooted? Did you mess with any system files?
    Have enough space on the phone?

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. Dr.twinkies325

Dec 5, 2013
    Only caution sign shows. No not rooted. Yes theres enough space. And i dont know what you mean by mess with system files.

5. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Are you trying to do the update OTA or are you using a PC and Kies? Perhaps the download is too big for OTA and your connection. Also, you say the phone reboots, but stalls when downloading the update. Is the device rebooting before even downloading the update files? That doesn't sound quite right.

Please make sure you have at least a couple of good backup files of all your data and applications before trying any other updates just to be sure you don't loses any data.

By the way, that ICS update was released for your device in 2012 and there is actually a Jelly Bean update that was released in March 2013 for the Epic.

6. Dr.twinkies325

Dec 5, 2013
    How do you make backup files for data.

7. Dr.twinkies325

Dec 5, 2013
    Ill be specific it tutns off turns on then it shows an android man with a whitebox and an arrow pointing from the box down to a bar once the bar fills like halfway the box and arrow get replaced by a caution sign.(sorry im not a pro so i dont know the terms and stuff) well thats what i remember and i dont want to try it again cause whenever i try it a few games lose all their data. and whats OTA

8. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Sounds like the download is failing as you indicated, but without more information it is hard to guess at why that may be.

OTA = Over The Air. This could certainly be part of a failure if you have a marginal signal. The download for OS updates can be large, like 300mb - 450mb. Are you connected to a strong WiFi signal instead?

You should also make sure your battery is at 100% or better yet have it plugged in to an AC adapter before starting the upgrade.

Final suggestion is for you to actually seek out an upgrade from your device instead of having it offer one to you. Generally that can be done through the Settings > System Updates > Update Samsung Software.

Can you tell us who your provider/carrier is?

9. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    There are numerous apps in the Play Store that can handle this for you. You can also utilize Google to store your contacts and other data, but I am not sure if they back up everything. I am on a corporate server so daily backups are automatic through our IT system.

Here is one highly rated app, GCloud. Read carefully to make sure you can use if you do not have a rooted device.

And here is a decent article about the process to follow without using any app. As I suggest they encourage multiple backups, but they are suggesting paid applications so look around if GCloud doesn't work for you. There should be enough free choices that work well for the masses. Make sure you also understand the process for restoring in the event you need to. You want to be able to access your backup easily and from multiple locations if you happen to be traveling.

10. Dr.twinkies325

Dec 5, 2013
    Yea im trying to update it via OTA. And the problem with doing it via Cable is that my phone's charging port is messed up so its hard to charge it. So i decided on just getting a new phone. But thanks for the help.

11. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Sorry you had such trouble. What phone are you going to get as a replacement?

12. Dr.twinkies325

Dec 5, 2013
    Idk? I want one with long batterylife and good game peformance.

13. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    I don't do games so I can't offer any suggestions. Long battery life is certainly affected by how you use the phone as well as the type of connection you have meaning if you are, for example, in a fringe area for signal the phone will chew up batteries looking for a signal. 4G also eats battery life. The biggest battery user is the large screen included with most Androids.

Using the Settings to adjust screen brightness to the lowest possible setting for comfortable use can help greatly. There are also certain applications known to deplete batteries such as many weather apps, FaceBook and more. Apps that run in the background are notorious for hurting battery longevity. Be sure to take a look at the sticky Android Battery Saving Tips for some helpful information.

Let us know what you decide and how the experience goes.....