Why is my internal storage so low?

Discussion in 'Android' started by Jon K, May 8, 2011.

1. Jon K

Jon K New Member

I've been trying to figure out why my internal phone storage keeps getting so low. When I install apps, I move them to the SD card whenever possible, but it doesn't seem to help. I have removed apps installed on the SD card and have seen the internal phone storage go up. If they are on the SD card, why does it affect internal storage?

Also, I found a file browser app, and I found a folder called "cache" in my phone that had apks in it of apps I had downloaded. I deleted the files, but I did not see the internal storage in my phone go up. I found another folder that had apks for apps that came with the phone. I did not delete those, but would it hurt anything or even matter if I did?

So where is Android looking when it reports the available space? What's hogging all the space?

Phone is a Sanyo Zio on Sprint running 2.2.
  2. Weapondrift

Weapondrift Active Member

I know that the D1 typically saves files to the phones internal memory initially. Im not sure if the Sanyo does the same. If you have any backups of roms thats usually a memory hog. The "other folder" of .apks is what we like to call "bloatware". Basically its all the files that were initially installed on the phone. When you download a picture/file/etc is it found in sd card>download?
  3. Avatar

Sponsored Advertisement

4. Jon K

Jon K New Member

Yes, most apps save to internal storage first, than I move them over. Some install straight to the SD card. On some the "move to xxx" tab is grayed out and I assume that means they are stuck in internal memory.

Yes, downloaded files are saved to sd card>download.

Can I safely delete the system apks? Will it free up space? And why didn't deleting the apks in the cache folder free up space? And why does uninstalling an app on the SD card free up space in internal memory?
  5. Weapondrift

Weapondrift Active Member

I dont know this for a fact so Im just guessing here but when you delete the .apks in the cache folder, you may not actually be deleting it from the memory itself, just the area where it performs from.

Its possible that the phone is defaulting which files to save to. I know that some files will NOT run properly if installed to the memory card so this my be why. Do you have the option of manually storing it on the sd card? By this I mean settings>applications>manage applications>individual application>move to sd card

IF you start deleting bloatware DO NOT! I REPEAT DO NOT DELETE THE FOLLOWING:
    Talk.apk
    gtalkservice.apk
    talkprovider.apk
  6. Sharmin Self

Sharmin Self New Member

I have been dealing with this issue for the last six months. It would happen about once a month and I would go into a sprint store and they would reset the default settings on the phone and it would work for another month. Finally had a guy do some more research for me yesterday and found that its because of the email on the phone. I cannot delete email off of my phone without deleting it off of the server and being that I need to save emails quite frequently this really screws. I have four different email addresses, but only one that goes to my phone. Never had this problem with my old blackberry.
  7. sherri

sherri Well-Known Member

Which email app are you using? The only one that deletes mail from server as well as phone is gmail. Even the native email app lets you delete from phone but leave it on server...

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  8. iP5

iP5 Member

Exchange maintains email sync of deletes like gmail.

Never found email to be a problem for RAM, since attachments are offlined to my SD and turf messages themselves are only headers till you open.

How much RAM does your device pack internally? My N1 use to be tight but this DHD is showing 588mb free. It's lean though at 148 user apps.

When I'm really tight I start using TiBackup to quickly load/unload apps that aren't regularly used.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk