Why is my Motorola Droid running so slow?

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid Phones' started by AndroidWl, Aug 25, 2010.

1. AndroidWl

AndroidWl New Member

Ever since I installed the latest update (Version 2.2) my phone has been running slower. I don't have alot of programs on my phone, and I just bought this a month ago. Any suggestions? I do have the Task Manager to kill applications running in the background. I also have Lookout Virus Protection.

2. Weapondrift

Gold

You really don't need a virus protection on an android since there's no viruses for android. I would recommend clearing your browser history and cache every month to save space. Also, saving stuff on your memory card helps too

Sent from my ADR6300 using Everything Android app

3. Avatar

Sponsored Advertisement

4. bberryhill0

Silver

Using a task manager actually slows the phone down. Lose the task manager and the AV and tell us how it works.

5. mrcrash

mrcrash New Member

doesnt a task manager save ur battery life though also

6. dgray636

Bronze

Guess that's the question you have to answer. Which is more important. Battery life or speed.

7. bberryhill0

Silver

Using an auto task killer can reduce battery life because Android will just re-start those tasks. If they are in the background they aren't using the CPU so it doesn't hurt to have them in memory and they re-start faster thus saving power.

I use System Panel to identify apps that run as services when they don't need to, then uninstall them and complain in the comments.

Sent from my Eris running xtrSense 3.

8. gnath9

Silver

Froyo requires faster clock speeds. They did bump it up to 600mhz with the update but that's not enough. If you really want speed I suggest checking out your options thru rooting and overclocking. The Droid has no problems running at 1.2ghz

9. PrynceszTaty

PrynceszTaty New Member

How do I safely root my droid? I am interested in overclocking the phone to 1.2... is it really easy, could it screw up my phone? I will need step by step on how to do it.

10. Weapondrift

Gold

Please do not double post. (in other words start a new post asking this question) :)

To safely root your droid make sure you are familier with how to reboot into recovery. ANY mod/hack/tweak/etc to your phone will ALWAYS run the risk of screwing up your phone if you dont know what your doing. Do you know what Overclocking is? What are you trying to acomplish with your phone?
    In either case here is how you do it. http://www.blogsdna.com/8946/how-to-root-your-motorola-droid-running-2-1.htm

11. PrynceszTaty

PrynceszTaty New Member

How would I recover my phone should I screw it up? I do know what over clocking is about... it makes the phone faster... That is what I am trying to do.

12. PrynceszTaty

PrynceszTaty New Member

Oh and by the way my phone is running 2.2... Can i still root it?

13. Weapondrift

Gold

From what I understand yes you can root at anytime however, what I do know is that after installing a stock rom AFTER you are already rooted will make you lose root.

14. pansy22

pansy22 New Member

Heyy...About a week ago, I suddenly started experiencing slow, choppy playback of mp4 videos on my Motorola Droid (Verizon) running 2.1-update-1. It reliably plays back video at about a 1:3 time ratio. About three seconds to cover one second of content.

http://www.decalskin.com/

15. bberryhill0

Silver

Do I smell spam?

Sent from my Eris running xtrSense 3.

16. My-Droid

Bronze

Yes. It is SPAM.

17. My-Droid

Bronze

I suppose it is possible that you have a bad update. I do not know whether or not you could try and re-install it. WD, do you know?

18. Weapondrift

Gold

If this is legit, it might be to many apps installed on the phone used and not in the memory card

Sent from my ADR6300 using Everything Android app

19. darkdomino

darkdomino New Member

Exactly. I've found that the biggest culprits for slowdowns with the Moto Droid are:

1. Apps with persistant processes (Ebay and Paypal love to run processes ALL the time.)... Really what this means is be prudent about what you install on your phone. Some apps can be almost viral in the way they want to stay running ALL the time, despite your wanting them to. Generally poorly coded apps do this, I've found, so be careful what you install. As a general rule, anything that polls or pulls data on a set schedule is gonna kill your battery and use up precious processor cycles.

2. Apps installed to the phone. (From what I understand the phones RAM and system memory are linked... so if you've filled up your Droid with apps on the phone memory, it seems to have less memory to run things. I put this to the test one day and brought my Droid to a CRAWL. Bottom line, if it's not something you use frequently... install to SD!) - If you are rooted, download an app "CacheCleaner" to automagically clear all your junk cache files and free up space. I get 20-30 megs back everytime I use this app.

3. Too many widgets/homescreens. (The default froyo verizon launcher is... pardon my french... s**t. It's laggy, it's slow... and I found it to be somewhat non responsive. Do yourself a favor and download "LauncherPro" and find a number of homescreens you can run quickly with. I use 3 homescreens, because I've found that from daily use, 3 homescreens gives me the best performance. Widgets need to be used sparingly too. Just because you *can* put all those widgets on one page, doesn't mean you should.

The last and final thing you need to do is reboot once everyday. Rebooting restarts system processes and refreshes the device. If my phone starts running really sluggishly for reason, usually a reboot is all it really needs. Android is not a perfect system, and if left to its own ways of running things, will sometimes bloat itself. I reboot every morning, just as a ritual... it's 1 minute out of your day that's gonna lead to less headache in the long term.

Sent from my Droid using Everything Android App

20. bberryhill0

Silver

I've got six homescreens with widgets everywhere on my Eris. 100 apps.

xScope and Launcher Pro seem to have issues so I have to watch tasks and memory. I use System Panel and SysMonitor.

Swyped from my Eris running xtrSense 3.

21. motoxkx

motoxkx New Member

I had the same sluggishness with my Motorola Droid and I found the following to help a bit.
    Delete text messages. I had many long text message threads that included lots of images and I'm thinking it's possible that this is loaded into active memory. I really have no idea how the Android platform works under the covers, but deleting all of my text threads seems to be helping my device chug-a-long a little better.