1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Why would you want to root?

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by whosethat, Apr 21, 2011.

1. whosethat

whosethat New Member

Apr 21, 2011

Sponsored Ad

I was wondering what the advantages of rooting is.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Everything Android

2. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    Why WOULDNT you want to root!?

Wifi Tether, Custom Roms, remove crapware from carriers, overclock, underclock, completely customize (nearly) every aspect of the device.

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. Blackmet0

Bronze

Apr 5, 2011
    The #1 reason is to get rid of the bloatware that your carrier has installed on the phone that you never use

5. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    Answer to Why wouldn't? Time really. The bloatware/extra crap, while there, is not really taking up that much physical space. It is annoying to have to move the icons around to 'hide' them and I certainly agree with folks that say a carrier shouldn't be able to force you to pick that program just because they get $ for it.... But for me, it's a time issue. I don't have it and the phone up until now has performed admirably without any need. If your phone is simply a tool, you ma not want to modify it any more than you mod the engine in your car. If your phone is a hobby, you may want to mod the hell out of it.

People used to claim modding WM phones so they could get rid of the carrier logo upon startup. I always thought that was a silly reason, since the logo is visible for 10-15 seconds. Truth is, they simply liked playing with their phones. The terms have changed, but the root reason is probably the same.

6. Blackmet0

Bronze

Apr 5, 2011
    Or to calibrate ur battery........

7. Blackmet0

Bronze

Apr 5, 2011
    Rooting is literally a one click procedure with apps like z4root

8. whosethat

whosethat New Member

Apr 21, 2011
    So could I make my battery last a long time without slowing my phone down?

9. Weapondrift

Gold

Feb 1, 2008
    The benefits of Root fall into any number of categories but most of which are good. I will attempt to list as many as I can.
    The ability to alter your battery life.
    The ability to install custom Roms on your phone.
    The ability to delete the infamous "Bloatware" that consumes an unrooted phone
    The ability to tether
    The ability to make your phone react faster
    The ability to have access to the newest firmware before its officially released.
    The ability of having a recovery system in case something goes awry.

To EQBob, I recognize that alot of people dont like to spend the time doing root. For some of us it does take awhile (me for instance) because of Vista I went from what should have been a 20min procedure to a 3 day long procedure. However, because of all the increase in android development Im sure all of that original time has been cut in half.

10. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    Wep....how does rooting affect battery life?
    Don't you have the ability to tether now.... but just have to pay for it <G>

11. whosethat

whosethat New Member

Apr 21, 2011
    What android system do you use? What settings and installs do you have on it?

12. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    You can change kernels which can overclock, undeclock or undervolt which can alter battery life.

You can tether for free if you root.

Sent from my Xoom using Everything Android

13. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    Legally??

14. Blackmet0

Bronze

Apr 5, 2011
  15. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    lol...that sounds like a fancy way of saying "no" meto <G>
    Is that like if the cop wasn't there to see ya, 85 isn't speeding? <G>

16. Blackmet0

Bronze

Apr 5, 2011
    well you could just wait it out. Im sure your battery life will get back to normal after a few cycles.
    On stock battery last time i checked my usage statistics said my phone had been up for 20 hrs since the last plugin and i think i was still on 40%

At the end of the day rooting just gives you more control over your phone, its not necessary but it does remove a few headaches

17. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    Sure. The Apps are free on the market and shows up as data on your bill.
    No different than doing the #777 thing on WM, and just unlock features that your phone is capable of.

Sent from my Xoom using Everything Android

18. I8qbert

Bronze

Aug 24, 2008
    Rooting in itself is just giving you access to the normally protected areas of your phone. The real fun is flashing!
    Just be sure to read up, pretty safe if you follow some basic rules but there are risks.

19. Weapondrift

Gold

Feb 1, 2008
    As Hockey meantioned, you can easily flash a new kernel on your phone. typically kernels come in .zip files so its EXTREMLY easy to flash. Some Roms like Cyanogen already have kernels packaged into the rom itself. I remeber posting something about my kernel life a while back however, (depending on the kernel) I have had my battery life last anywhere from 30 (ziggys kernel)/50%(hydra kernel) higher then stock

I am using CyanogenRom7 right now. What do you mean what my settings are? Please explain.

20. iP5

iP5
    Bronze

Oct 23, 2010
    Titanium Backup is another great reason to root. I love being able to roll back an app to a previous release if the I find something buggy about an update.

Another yet mentioned plus is unlocking your phone to use on other carriers.

As for battery life, my DHD now idles at 1%/hour while benefitting from the huge perf gain of GB. Is GB even official yet, I know it wasn't stock from Telus.

Lastly, unless you make a huge mistake of accepting some OTA update, you need only root once, unlike those on iOS.

--- edit: ranting below, ignore if you like

And what's the question about legal & tether. The carrier can't know for sure what packets I'm firing down my subscription without inspection.

Keep in mind that violating TOS is not a criminal offense whereas privacy violations are. Also in business law there's a long precedence of courts generally ignoring or tossing out TOS as non-contractual. The only thing it's good for is as a liability defense. Beyond that the thing is non-negotiable and ever changing in favour of the writer. In my book TOS < toilet wipes.

Here's another way to look at it. The only thing I've bought from my carrier that is directly connected to their service is their SIM.

Everything else off SIM is a tether.

A bluetooth earpiece tethers the voice service off the SIM, off the phone, to the BT. If I call via VOIP, then it's a data tether.

If I use a wired earpiece it's still a tether.

Ever heard the argument that the network is the computer. It's a fair argument to say that any component of a smartphone, say the screen, is a data tether. Of course the carrier will set the line where it favours them and where they can get away with it.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

21. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    You can rant about it all you want. The facts are that TOSs are still in place and you signed one. You therefore havee a legal, if not moral, obligation to abide by them. Just because a provider isn't examining your packets doesn't necessarilly mean you get to do whatever you want with them. Just because a park ranger didn't catch you, cutting down the Christmas tree on state land is still illegal. If you purchased a tethering app and use the data, then I image as Hockey said, it's all covered and good. I asked the question because I didn't know and was curious. I would certainly prefer to keep responses to facts and known situations, not rants (self described). Just because you don't like a TOS doesn't mean you get to ignore it, legally, or ethically. Courts have determined that rooting and modding are ok and allowed. Doesn't mean they've thrown out TOS.