1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Wi Fi Hotspots

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by korat2000, Dec 11, 2012.

1. korat2000

korat2000 New Member

Dec 11, 2012

Sponsored Ad

I have a Samsung Galaxy Y and I am having trouble with wifi hotspots. When I connect to a wi fi hotspot the phone tells me I am connected but when I try to access the internet I get "no connection".
    This happens with all wi fi hotspots in Thailand but when I connect at home to my normal internet connection via the router etc everything is ok.
    I would be grateful if anyone has any suggestions to help solve this problem.

korat2000

2. Spyro23

Spyro23 New Member

Dec 11, 2012
    If you're in Thailand, you must get a login and a password (by their laws Wi-Fi networks must be protected, as I know).

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Spyro23 may be on to something. This article details some of the free WiFi hotspot program in Thailand and mentions users must register using ID cards or Passport numbers. A number of the hotsposts are slated to be installed before the end of 2012 and expanding through 2015.......

#3 stevetaz, Dec 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2013
  5. korat2000

korat2000 New Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Well maybe so but the same thing happens at airports I have been at lately - at least 3 airports outside Thailand where
    the wifi is stated to be free and open. The thing is that I do not get anything that asks me for user name and password.
    The wifi open hotspot(s) are detected by the phone and connects to the one I choose but always "no connection" no matter where I am located.

6. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    After you are 'connected' open a web page and see if it takes you to a log in screen...

7. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    What color are the WiFi bars on your phone? Blue would mean connected and gray mean not connected.

8. korat2000

korat2000 New Member

Dec 11, 2012
    First of all I cant open any web page - even though connected there is no connection.....and the wfi bars
    are white and strong...which is how they are when I connect at home to a regular wifi internet connection.

9. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Have you tried the other basics like
    1) Do a battery pull to reset the device and try connecting? Device on > Remove the battery and count to 20 > Replace the battery and allow it to fully reboot.
    2) In WiFi Advanced Settings select Use Static IP (generally deselected by default).

I did see mention of a rather odd situation with some Nexus devices, but I thought I should mention it. The device date may reset itself to January 1, 2000 and changing it to the current date corrects the connection issue. Out there for sure, but stranger things have happened.

If nothing helps you may be experiencing an issue involving Mac addresses or even the type of router and channels used, something users can't do much about.

I know you said it has happened in three different airports, but could the provider be the same for all the different airports?

When you say you can't open any web page, where do you see the No Connection error? Does a page start to open?

10. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Finally, are you on the most current OS version for your phone and which is that? Is the phone stock or rooted?

11. korat2000

korat2000 New Member

Dec 11, 2012
    First off the 3 different airports are Singapore, Bangkok and Hong Kong so no way the provider is the same.
    As far as I know the phone is not rooted or stock and the OS is Android 2.3.5
    When I try to open a web page the browser opens and tries to load the page - and then I see the "n0 connection" error.
    This happens with apps such as Tango and Whatsapp, Skype etc etc. and although there is no error message, things just do not go though.
    No I have not yet tried a battery pull and reset. Will this effect any of the stored data?

12. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    No, a battery pull will not affect your data. As an aside you should always have a current backup anyway.