1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Will Google cut price of Nexus 7 if there is a $200 iPad mini

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by chris, Aug 20, 2012.

1. chris

Administrator

Jun 1, 2006

Sponsored Ad

It costs them $151 to build the Nexus 7. The current price of $199 includes a $25 giveback in credits form the Play Store. If Apple releases a $200 iPad mini, the "price umbrella" that exists for the Nexus 7 is gone. Sure it'll still sell bunches, but it'll have a major competitor.

Will they cut the price? At the cost of $151, does it make sense for them to make it a loss leader? Honestly, I'm not sure. Not even sure if $50 makes that much of big deal when someone is purchasing a tablet.

Thoughts?

2. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Like it or not, the name Apple on a $200 mini tablet will definitely attract a lot of users. The question is if those users would have looked at an Android tablet to begin with? I do think there will be some loss of Android buyers to a mini iPad, but I don't think it will be the majority of them.

I do think that if the Android is reduced to $150 ($151) it will pull in a few who might have been on the fence, but again, it will not convince a user about to spend $200 for a mini iPad. They will still justify the extra $50 as part of the price to own an Apple product, which is what they want anyway.

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. chris

Administrator

Jun 1, 2006
    I agree. I'm still not sure Apple will price the iPad mini at $200. I never had a lot of faith in that rumor. If I had to venture a guess, I'd say it lands at $249. If the Nexus 7 drops to $149.99, that's a sufficient pricing advantage.

5. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    I wouldn't put my money on Apple releasing a $200 iPad Mini, especially when their iPod Touch at 8GB costs $199.

6. chris

Administrator

Jun 1, 2006
    I agree, unless they drop the price of the iPod touch to $149, slot the iPad mini at $199. I tend to think they'll leave the 8GB iPod touch at $199, with an 8GB iPad mini at $249. That leaves some wiggle room for Google to drop their price. Apple won't touch them at $149.99. Is it safe to say the Nexus 7 is on it's way to becoming the most successful Android tablet or too early for that?

7. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    Agreed, Apple won't go that low.

Yes, I would have to say it is (or is soon to become) the most successful Android Tablet.

8. chris

Administrator

Jun 1, 2006
    It'll unseat the HP TouchPad. :p

9. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    Haha, that thing with Android on it is pretty good. More responsive than I thought it would be.

10. iphonewarrior

Bronze

Jun 2, 2011
    Is anybody going to ignore both the Nexus 7 and iPad Mini for the Microsoft Surface tablet? I admit, I'm not Microsoft fan, but the new Surface makes me curious.

11. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    The Surface, is not even on my radar

12. chakdev

chakdev New Member

Aug 22, 2012
    Nope. Not gonna get the Surface. but come to think about it, I don't plan to get Nexus 7 and iPad Mini either. :p

13. mikearnill

mikearnill New Member

Aug 30, 2012
    I guess yes, it will drop it's price like others gonna do or may be it can increase it's price by adding some more features like samsung do.

14. rynders2

rynders2 New Member

Oct 23, 2012
    He just announced that the iPad mini will be 329

15. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    Yup, at 16GB
    While Google will be releasing the 32GB Nexus 7 next week at $249 and dropping the price of the previous models.

16. rynders2

rynders2 New Member

Oct 23, 2012
    I follow stocks a lot and I laughed when I heard the price because people have been so unrealistic in their hopes for a $200 mini. Their stock took a big hit because they have once again released the same old thing, just thinner and slightly faster. More regurgitated technology packaged and markets as the "next new thing". I've had a Ivy bridge in my computer for over a year now and it was about 6 months old then.

Can't wait to get my Nexus!

17. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    I saw a clip of the stock price! Ouch.

You are going to love that Nexus 7, I love mine.

18. diverdown

diverdown New Member

Feb 27, 2012
    $329 for the mini just seems to high. I have the 16gb Nexus 7 and $249 was the sweet spot. I know it's only $30, but all my marketing classes would tell you that a $299 iPad mini would sell better than the $329.

I have been reading all of the reviews on how they are stating that the iPad mini is worth $129 more than the Nexus 7 (Comparing it to the 8gb model). The two big points they make is screen size and Apple's ecosystem. First of all I think that the 7 inch size is perfect for reading books, especially on the train or subway as it is truly one handed. Also the Nexus 7 fits into my jacket pocket (though I do wish it had the smart cover). Also the Nexus 7 has a resolution of 1280 x 800 compared to the ipad mini at 1024 x 768.

Second, the Apple Ecosystem. I have a lot of Apple gadgets in my family(wife & mom have iphones, daughter and son have ipod touches and iPad 2) so I use the ecosystem a lot. In the past I think that the size of the App Market was more of a point for Apple, however, in the past year or so, the Google Play Store (Hate the name) has really stepped up and there are a lot of developers making Android apps and all of the Apps I need are available on both platforms.

The big issue I had when I decided to try Android, was that all of my music is in iTunes. I found a good solution that works. I use Isyncer to sync my HTC One X to iTunes and it works great.....playlists and rating all sync quite nicely. The one thing that I don't miss was having to convert my avi media to iTunes format......

One other thing that I found odd as I watched the iPad Mini presentation was that Apple introduced all of these new upgraded models (Mac Mini, Macbook, iMac and New iPad), then when they introduced the Mini they kept comparing it to the iPad 2, which would have been fine if they had not just made that device 2 generations older. If they were going to kill the iPad 3 (New iPad name does not make sense anymore) I would have thought that the iPad mini would have come with the iPad 3 processor and specs instead of the iPad 2.

Not a rant against Apple as I love and own many of their products, I just think both OSes are mature enough that I find it hard to justify paying $80 more for the iPad Mini over the 16gb Nexus 7....

~S

19. diverdown

diverdown New Member

Feb 27, 2012
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. viseo

viseo New Member

Oct 27, 2012
    No, it's not going to happen at all.

21. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    Well it doesn't need to, the iPad Mini is already most expensive than the N7.