1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Will it scratch?

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by Neutrino, Nov 11, 2009.

1. Neutrino

Bronze

Sep 30, 2009

Sponsored Ad

Usually the way I find out whether a phone’s screen is resistant to scratching is ACCIDENTALLY scratching it and being disappointed I didn’t get a screen protector in advance. Then there is eL777 from AndroidForums who took his car keys and purposely slashed the heck out of the screen to see what would happen:

http://phandroid.com/2009/11/11/motorola-droid-scratch-test-with-car-keys/

2. gnath9

Silver

Feb 10, 2009
    Tell me ... Did it scratch ?
    I am at work and the web blocker won't let me watch. :016:upset

7 more days !!!

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. TheMadJester

Bronze

Jul 14, 2009
    it doesn't appear that the screen scratched, but the black paint the metal screen frame did come off a little bit. this was almost unbearable to watch. it was like a horror movie. :shocked:

5. chris

Administrator

Jun 1, 2006
    That's nuts. Happy to see the results. Droid really is built tough.

6. gnath9

Silver

Feb 10, 2009
    7 more days !!! I can barely stand this waiting :dft011:tounge_out

7. EliseMe

EliseMe New Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Screen doesn't scratch, but it seems to remove some of the paint from the metal part of the case surrounding the screen.

I assume that this is what happens when your co-worker leaves their phone unattended? ;)

8. TheMadJester

Bronze

Jul 14, 2009
    hahahahaha. i'll have to remember that the next time i want to "scratch test" a phone.

9. dragonfly

Bronze

Mar 27, 2007
    This guy is nuts, however it releaves me to know that the screen doesnt scratch since my screen protector still isnt in yet from the company online i ordered it from. also should be reassurance for everyone that doesnt already have a screen protector.

10. KelchM

KelchM New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    See, this is why a glass screen is a good thing.

11. gnath9

Silver

Feb 10, 2009
    I just watched it on my Q9c. That could not have been his personal phone.
    Well I guess this answers my question of do I need a screen protector or not. lol

7 more days !!!

12. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    hahaha nice!

13. Boycan

Boycan New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    And to think I was worried about my fingernails scratching it LOL :dft010:big_smile

14. spectrrr

spectrrr New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    As I remember it, the problem with a glass screen is not scratching, but CRACKING!! I would imagine that having a screen protector on it would absorb enough shock to reduce the likelyhood of that occuring, so IMO, a screen protector is still essential.

15. dragonfly

Bronze

Mar 27, 2007
    The guy in the video did drop his keys on the phone too and it didnt crack :dft012:wink however dropping onto the road or being stepped on may be another story :dft002:zombie

16. gnath9

Silver

Feb 10, 2009
    That is a good point. Kinda like when you move and tape up all your mirrors and glass cabinet doors.

6 more days !!!

17. slumlord

slumlord New Member

Oct 17, 2008
    This was posted on another board and the story is the phone was defective and he was returning it anyway. So he decided to do the screen durability test on it before returning it:dft010:big_smile

18. dragonfly

Bronze

Mar 27, 2007
    Still is an awesome video, shows people they really dont need a screen protector though :dft003:cool