Xoom Tether

Discussion in 'Motorola Xoom' started by n99hockey, Feb 27, 2011.

1. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

So at Best Buy I was messing with the Xoom, and I wanted to see if I could Wireless Tether my phone to the Xoom using the NON Verizon hotspot app.

It WORKS!
    Found my SSID of the phone and bam, connection!

It wont work from Phone to Phone but will apparently work from Phone to Xoom, which is pretty damn awesome. Definitely makes the WiFi only version that much better whenever it comes out for those interested.

I could not however find the option to make it not default to the mobile site for eA.

On a side note I change all the Browser start pages to everythingandroid.org and on the iPad everythingicafe.com :)
  2. I8qbert

I8qbert Member

You are awesome!

Sent from my Droid
  3. Avatar

Sponsored Advertisement

4. gnath9

gnath9 Member

What is this "non verizon" hot spot app you speak of ?

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Everything Android App
  5. n99hockey

The one built into CM7
  6. gnath9

gnath9 Member

It's not in mine :-(

7. n99hockey

It might be the the code.google.com WiFi Tether, wrapped in a CM7 package. I started up the code.google.com one and the hotspot CM7 app started as well, could be the samething.

I could uninstall the Google one and head to BB and see I suppose.
  8. gnath9

gnath9 Member

I did see a write up on how to wifi tether the xoom with the OG Droid in bluetooth mode. I was trying to do it with my Tab ... no go ...

9. n99hockey

Bluetooth?
    Was it any good?
  10. gnath9

gnath9 Member

Didn't work with my tab ... But I would think it would be good with the xoom

11. n99hockey

I wonder what the speeds are like...
  12. gnath9

gnath9 Member

You will have to test it out and report back :)

13. n99hockey

Hahaha fair enough!
  14. alostpacket

alostpacket Member

lol that's awesome
  15. wnrussell

wnrussell New Member

1: on XOOM, go to settings>wireless & networks>tethering and portable hotspot and make sure that "Bluetooth Tethering" is UNCHECKED, this is NOT what we want

2: on XOOM, go to settings>wireless & networks> enable airplane mode

3: on XOOM, go to settings>wireless & networks> enable bluetooth

4: on your android phone, go to settings>wireless & networks (or equivalent)> enable bluetooth

5: Make sure that both devices are discoverable, so that they can see one another, should be in settings>wireless & networks>bluetooth settings

6: on XOOM, go to settings>wireless & networks>bluetooth settings>select your phone in order to pair it with your XOOM

7: a box should pop up on both devices, select Pair on both devices

8: on XOOM, once the pairing is complete (still inside bluetooth settings), select the phone, it should say paired but not connected underneath it

9: The two devices should connect, once connected there should be a wrench next to the connected device, clicking on this will show an option to tether, click this option if it is not automatically enabled
  16. Lori pierce

Lori pierce New Member

Thinking of getting a wifi xoom for my sons graduation from Army MP school. He has an iPhone. Do you think he will be able to tether the xoom to the iPhone?
  17. n99hockey

Probably yes, but he would have to have a hotspot active on his iPhone, which I think is extra.
  18. Lori pierce

Lori pierce New Member

Hockey, you mean it won't tether to your existing 3G network?
    Hmmm
    I wonder why Xoom doesn't come with the wi fi or 3G option like the iPad does? Where you can subscribe to 3g for a month at a time.
  19. n99hockey

It does come with a 3G option through Verizon. But you asked about usuing your iPhone to tether to a wifi Xoom.
  20. Lori pierce

Lori pierce New Member

I'm thinking he will figure it out much easier than I :) thanks for the help.
  21. n99hockey

No that one is WiFi only, OR you can buy a 3G & WiFi version. If you buy the WiFi only version and WISH that you could get 3G on it, then you should buy the 3G & WiFi version. :)

Make sense?