1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

XOOM wifi

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by softspirits, Mar 28, 2011.

1. softspirits

Bronze

May 2, 2007

Sponsored Ad

I got super tired of waiting for my ipad 2, so upon learning that Xoom had a wifi only version, and Costco had it, i bought it. On paper, the Xoom looks superior, but there are so many things still missing, like an sd card. However the display is beautiful, the cameras that i never even thought i would use, are perfect for video chatting, and teathering to my 4G Evo is a piece of cake. I figure i will give it a good 90 days, which is the length of the costco return period, and if motorola/android do not put out the appropriate updates that will undoubtedly make this a far superior device, then at least i had something fun to play with while i wait for the ipad 2 to become more widely available.
    ps: sure would be fabulous if the EA app worked. cannot post, can only read.

2. Weapondrift

Gold

Feb 1, 2008
    Good to have you back with us D. :)
    I agree with you i would undoubtably love to have the updates for the xoom so I can hear everyones opinion about its true potential. there are just a few things that i shiver about when thinking about buying this device. :/

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. iP5

iP5
    Bronze

Oct 23, 2010
    Waiting for it to release in Canada.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

5. chris

Administrator

Jun 1, 2006
    Congrats. You cannot go wrong with Costco. I love their return policy.

I think the Xoom will evolve pretty quickly, already has with Flash.

As for the eA app, it should be soon-ish.;)

6. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    You really dont even need the SD Card yet, has 32GB built in. I love my Xoom.

7. softspirits

Bronze

May 2, 2007
    You are totally right Scott, no use for SD expansion yet, but there is something unsettling about having an empty slot.

8. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    Agreed, but, thus far I have yet to find a need for it.

9. chris

Administrator

Jun 1, 2006
    How is the app scene for the Xoom? Are the numbers improving?

10. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    Very slowly for tablet specific apps, or at least ones that peak my particular interest. Although, 99% of the apps that I have on the phone work well on the Xoom. The ones that don't have not been optimized for the device yet, so they will FC on occasion. But definitely getting better.

Would love some Netflix on it, but its not a deal breaker by any means.

11. iP5

iP5
    Bronze

Oct 23, 2010
    Can you install spare parts and expand phone apps nicely?
    This was the technique used on the Galaxy Tab.

12. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    What did you want Spare Parts for? (I am not really familiar with that app, even though it was built in to CM7)
    What do you mean expand apps?

13. Weapondrift

Gold

Feb 1, 2008
    you cant expand apps using Spare Parts. Maybe with DevTools but Spare parts speeds up transition windows/font sizes not for enlarging apps (from what I assume you are asking)

14. iP5

iP5
    Bronze

Oct 23, 2010
  15. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    I haven't run in to an issue with apps not filling the Xoom screen.....so far.

16. Weapondrift

Gold

Feb 1, 2008