1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Yahoo Mail

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by Mickeylittle, Sep 25, 2010.

1. Mickeylittle

Mickeylittle New Member

Aug 31, 2010

Sponsored Ad

I use the free Yahoo.com email and I can't get it setup on my Captivate using the stock email icon but the Yahoo email app works great. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? I'd love to just use the stock email app.

Thanks

2. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    There was always an issue with Yahoo! Mail on Windows Mobile, something about using the free version.

Are you getting an error message?

I dont use Yahoo! for my email, but I would recommend sticking with the Yahoo! program.

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. Mickeylittle

Mickeylittle New Member

Aug 31, 2010
    Yeah, I just wish I could remove the stock mail app from the dock (without rooting or jail breaking or whatever term Androiders call it).

5. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    Which phone do you have?

Sent from my ADR6300 using Everything Android app

6. Mickeylittle

Mickeylittle New Member

Aug 31, 2010
    Captivate!

7. bberryhill0

Silver

Feb 14, 2009
    Stock with free Yahoo works for me, but I usually use the Yahoo app because it can mark messages as spam. But sometimes URLs don't work in the Yahoo app so I have to use stock.

My settings for the stock:

IMAP: android.imap.mail.yahoo.com
    SSL Port:993

SMTP: android.smtp.mail.yahoo.com
    SSL Port:465

I think it will also work without the android in the server names.

Swyped from my Eris running xtrSense 3.

8. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    You COULD try to turn off theTouchWiz UI that Samsung incorporates. That would remove the launcher bar at the bottom and allow you to only have the Yahoo! mail option on your screen.
    This gives you more of a stock Android feel.

Its an option, if the settings above dont work out for you.

9. bberryhill0

Silver

Feb 14, 2009
    The Sense people widget is the main thing keeping me from running stock.

It is always worth turning off the manufacturer's UI to see what you like. Home Switcher is an app that makes switching easy.

Swyped from my Eris running xtrSense 3.

10. Mickeylittle

Mickeylittle New Member

Aug 31, 2010
    Thanks guys. I think I'm going to try a few things. I'm trying LauncherPro as it looks like an easier learning curve. And since I have a gmail account setup with my phone, I wonder if gmail is better than yahoo? can I forward my yahoo mail to my gmail account? Anyway thanks again for all your help, I've got some more research to do. Oh one more question... What is "Sense" I looked on the Market place and it looks like it would be hard for me, a rookie, to know which are sense apps and which are just grabbing the name.

11. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    Yes you can forward Yahoo to Gmail.
    Sense is a UI just like TouchWiz
    Sense = HTC
    TouchWiz = Samsung

Dont think you can run Sense on your Samsung.

Launcher Pro or ADW Home are just superficial UI replacements, but can be nicer that what you are running sometimes and easier than rooting an loading a custom ROM.