1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Yeah! Another Android in my house!

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by sherri, Nov 30, 2011.

1. sherri

Gold

Jun 29, 2007

Sponsored Ad

Ok. Rachel's iPod was stolen. Same week, her old LG EnV2 died. Yeah for me....

She needed a phone, and like most 14 year old girls, wanted an iPhone. This meant adding a data plan for her. Oh. Friggen'. Joy.

I BEGGED her to look at Android phones, as since she was eligible (since February 2010) for an upgrade, I could get discounted pricing. No discounts on iPhone. No way. IPhone or nothing. Told her she can pay for phone and I would pay to upgrade data. Grandma gave her an early Chanukah gift, so she had the money. All set. Was going to get the iPhone (which most of you know, I hate iTunes,) last night.

Ha! Friend of hers came to school yesterday with new iPhone, complaining about paying for every song. Said all of her money goes to itunes. Rachel also knows that there is no way she will be allowed to put iTunes on my laptop, and main pc in house doesn't have sound. Started thinking about this carefully, now that it was her money!

I saw deals at Radio Shack and Best Buy for Android phone. I personally liked the Samsung Stratosphere. Told her to Google it. She thought it was, in her words: "FUGLY....No way am I getting that..."

Unfortunately, Radio Shack has no working phone models. Grabbed her, rode to VZW store, showed her all models. She liked the Razr (duh....) It was (I think) $299 there. Told her it was $199 at Radio Shack, and she had the money (or could get iPhone)...Now that it was her money, she decided to look "for real" at the discounted phones. Played with Dinc 2, Stratosphere, Droid 3 and a few others. Stratosphere screen is amazing! Was $99.00 at VZW. Told them it was free at both Best Buy and Radio Shack.

Back to Radio Shack. Long story even longer? Free phone came home with us. So far, she is loving it! Apps for MP3's have made her quite happy. Exact words as she downloaded sings? "Suck this, iTunes!"....

Sent from my DROID using Tapatalk

2. dgray636

Bronze

Aug 22, 2010
    Sounds like a good lesson learned. Always do your homework when making a major purchase. You never know, your first want may not be what you think, and something else you never thought of may be what you really want.

Sent from my Xoom using Everything Android

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. PacoJr67

Bronze

Mar 6, 2007
    Way to go Sherri! Logic wins out in the end. Playing with a new toy myself...

• Like Like x 1
  5. rom x

Bronze

Jun 27, 2011
    don't forget to install gtunes and mp3 music download. both have tons of free music to download stright to your phone or you can stream.

6. sherri

Gold

Jun 29, 2007
    I use Music Junk (v. by Ghor) and MP3 download.

Got some of her iTunes library installed via Double Twist and Air Sync, but a lot of her music is from before Apple went drm free. Can't seem to find a way to remove drm. All the apps that do it do not work with latest version of iTunes.

Suggestions?

7. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    I used Tunebite to strip my DRM Music from the clutches of iTunes, its not free, but its worth it.

8. dgray636

Bronze

Aug 22, 2010
    Also had success with iSyncr. Also, not free, but works.

9. sherri

Gold

Jun 29, 2007
    I have no credit card to pay for downloaded apps to my pc. Trying to put the songs from iTunes onto cd's and rip them back to iTunes. Then Double Twist and Air Sync can put them on phone. Only issue I am having is that the songs dl to disk as "Track #1" "Track #2" etc... How do I change the information to the correct tags on iTunes? Not worried about cover art, as Album Art Grabber does that.

10. Beemer

Beemer New Member

Sep 26, 2011
    Sherri, not sure why you are doing all that work. I just used DoubleTwist to pull the music direct from iTunes Library...

11. sherri

Gold

Jun 29, 2007
    Because a lot of her music was bought from iTunes BEFORE Apple decided to remove Digital Rights Media (which, in case anyone is wondering, was in 2009....right after the Original Droid was released for Android!) This means the music can ONLY be played on the iDevice it was originally bought for (her original nano, years ago...)

When Apple decided to allow DRM to be removed, they "allowed you" to upgrade to the iTunes + service, and for ONLY $.30 per song (!), they would remove the DRM for you, effectively allowing you do put YOUR PURCHASED music on up to 5 devices. If I went to a store and bought a CD, I could make a copy for my car, one for my office, put it on my phone (at the time a Moto Q), my daughters LG EN2, my son's Chocolate, and anywhere else I wanted. It was mine. I am not talking about redistributing "purchased" music for a fee, or even free...Just using it as I see fit.

Many apps were made to circumvent Apple, such as the apps mentioned above. They were/are for a fee, but I would pay money to ANYONE but Apple. (Can't at this time, as I do not have a credit card.)

There are free ways to do this as well, using free apps. However, iTunes 10+ is not supported by these methods. I am afraid to try to "downgrade" the iTunes app, because she may lose all her music.

One method that has been said to work is by making a playlist of the music that has DRM in iTunes. Burn that to a cd in mp3 format, then rip the cd back into iTunes. This works, but as I stated, the data tags are coming up as "Track #1" "Track #2" "Track #3" etc... Since I did put them all on cd's, I actually had to listen to the songs to figure out what coressponded to each track. I wrote lists for each cd. Used my Droids Soundhound app to correctly identify and label each track, album and artist. I have to figure out how to change the data either in iTunes or in Double Twist. I may try to dl the cd's directly into Double Twist on my laptop, and then sync to her phone. She is at Princeton University for the weekend for a Speech and Debate Team Competition, so I can play with the cd's and pc to see if I can do this.

Once the music is on Double Twist correctly, synching is a breeze. Right now, when I sync via Double Twist, it downloads the music purchased later on, and music from "other" sources, such as cd's, or Windows Media Player. It gives me a message "309 items could not be synced due to Digital Rights Media being locked".

AND YOU WONDER WHY I HATE APPLE???

12. dgray636

Bronze

Aug 22, 2010
    Try double clicking on Track##, should allow you to edit song title, artist, and album in iTunes.

13. Weapondrift

Gold

Feb 1, 2008
    I always liked the way that when someone has their own money they are willing to compromise on items, however with someone elses money they have to have ONLY what they want. Good job Shrerri! And by default we have added a new androider :D

Idump is free and will take all the music and convert it into mp3's. Its a little complicated because my computer is broke now >.>

14. sherri

Gold

Jun 29, 2007
    Made a new pkaylist in iTunes. Told iTunes to convert to mp3 format. Burned them to disks (7 in total). Took the CD's I made from iTunes. Opened it in Windows Media Player. As I said, opened as "track #1" "track #2" etc.

Right click on labels to edit track info. Rip to WMP. If any art was wrong, got album info from Amazon/copy & paste!

I can put them on phone via USB cable or Double Twist....

Or on my phone. Or on disks. Or on Michael's phone. Or on Bari's phone....Point is? I PAID FOR THE SONGS....THEY ARE MINE!

On another note, my sisters husband just got an iPhone. I say it is grounds for a divorce....

15. Weapondrift

Gold

Feb 1, 2008
    BAH !!
    boo to the iphoners

16. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    Tunebite will allow you to change the file names automatically with album art. One the other hand even if the file is labeled Track #1 if you load it to Google Music it should provide album art and right information within Google Music...

17. sherri

Gold

Jun 29, 2007
    If it is in MPEG4 format, it can't be played or transferred anywhere. Had to convert to mp3 format first. I totally forgot about DVD Videosoft. Converted them into mp3. Put into WMP with correct tags and most cover art. Lets see if it syncs correctly.

18. sherri

Gold

Jun 29, 2007
    Anything I corrected and put in WMP converted beautifully. Free iTunes songs had odd names. Had to actually listen to them and use Soundhand to identify. Will play more tonight.