1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

YouTube and FlipBoard

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by EQBob, Dec 12, 2014.

1. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007

Sponsored Ad

Why do these stupid applications start on their own? Irks the crap out of me. I've uninstalled them back to factory fault to get rid of them but even that doesn't work as they show up forever in the upgrade list and then you can set apps to update automatically.

2. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Not quite sure what you mean Bob....Starting on their own? Show up on the upgrade list where?

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    On a clean boot, go to Application Manager and look at running programs, and YouTube has started and is sitting there. This is before I've started any apps or done anything on the phone. Same use to be the case with Flipboard, but on that one, I uninstalled it to factory defaults, because they changed options along the way and forced it active all the time. They being Samsung because it powers their news application, which sucks, but I'm a feedly addict.

Now, with Flipboard, when I go into Play Store and my Apps or get notifications that I have apps to update, I constantly see Flipboard. I can't set the phone to auto-update all apps, because then FlipBoard will update and go back to being active and launching the Samsung news app. I can't delete Flipboard because Samsung wants it there. (and we know about me and rooting)

YourTube can stay on my phone....I might watch a video every once in a 3rd blue moon. I just have never understood why stupid things like that have to auto-start.

5. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Interesting....I did not reboot, but looking at Running Applications I do not see YouTube or FlipBoard running and I have both installed. I use FlipBoard, but barely ever YouTube.

You sure it is under Running and not Downloaded or All?

You can't use the Turn Off option in their App Info boxes?

6. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    Yes. Under Running. You can turn both off, but they both restart. I don't really care about YouTube *that* much...but Flipboard wants to take over some finger motions and apparently they were similar to things I was making, so the stupid and useless Samsung news app, which is powered by Flipboard would constantly start.

I don't recall what phone you have Steve...is it a Samsung? Might be specific to Note3? I've even emailed Samsung about it and got back the response that they consider Flipboard a vital app because it powers their news app and so it can't be uninstalled or turned off.

7. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    In my signature....Samsung Galaxy S3 and I am running 4.4.2. However, I installed FlipBoard. I still don't see it running until I actually start the app, but I do know something is running in the background because I get notifications periodically. Every Sunday at least it displays the "Sunday Read" is available.

I don't recall ever seeing the Samsung News app.

I believe YouTube is considered a part of the Android ecosystem and can't/shouldn't be uninstalled.

8. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    Hmmm. Maybe it is specific to the Note3 implementation. It is a prevalent frustration issue on searches. And of course since it's not the clean version you have some carrier / OEM limitations.

9. nilofar shaikh

Bronze

Oct 20, 2015
    You can disable it from the apps menu if you don't need it or it annoys you.