1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Took the plunge.....

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by sherri, Jun 20, 2012.

1. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007

Sponsored Ad

Steve--I don't disagree that companies can and should continue to strive to make improvements. There are some amazing technoloies on the horizon...paper batteries, battiers that recharge from the kinetic motion, etc. I think the more they can do to push that technology into the phone space, the better the ulimate solutions will be. I think the more carrier bloatware they can keep off of it, the better it will be as well.

I do think however, that "consumers" (the general use of the term) have some mighty high expectations. They want to surf all day, talk all day, have all the power of a desktop in their hands be able to see it eerywhere, get notified of everything under the sun, be lighter than a feather, and still have 50% left at the end of the day. There are some advances that just aren't in palce yet and there are trade-offs.

My current phone (Nexus) basically goes from 7am to 7pm with approx 40-50% left on average. It kicks to WiFi at work and home instead of 4G, I don't do twitter or facebook across my phone, y screen is set low and to a fast timeout. I do have the email set to get pushed as it arrives, as that's very important to me. I generally use it for talking 45-60 minutes a day and some minimal app usage and web usage. I don't stream music or videos on it. It hink it is just people's expectations...and they vary wildly.

And you'll never hear me advocating that someone roots their phone. I've got no problem with people that want to do it, but it is nothing in my interest zone.

2. sherri

Gold

Jun 29, 2007
    Nothing, and I mean nothing, compares to the battery in a Blackberry. My cousin used one heavily for work. Got well over 24 hours. Got a Tbolt. Neatly had a stroke. Barely got 4 hours with same usage. Had to play with settings, but that, as Steve pointed out, is dumb. Smartphone should be usable....Finally got the Razr Maxx.

Now, my cousin does not customize his phone. Expects it to work. Needs it to last. This works for him. For me, as well. As much as I love to "tweak", it is a PHONE! I need it to reliably receive and make calls. Texts are a must (2 teenagers and a 20 year old....). Mail? Great. Browser that is fast? A definite plus. Free GPS and music? I am a happy camper. Only thing phone lacks (for me) is the ability to have led blink when screen is ON.

Remember, it is a smart PHONE. The rest is gravy!

Steve, I know company forced change to Android. If possible, I would look at the Razr Maxx. Not a "fan girl" per-se, but battery is amazing. Natively does all I could need or want.

Got the phone in Commack/Northport, where there is no 4G. Phone still "flies" in that area. Just got 4g near me. No drain on battery.

Just my thoughts!

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Bob, I do understand what you are saying, but why is it consumers have these high expectations? The vendors certainly show all that these electronic marvels can do in advertisements over and over. Funny though, I don't recall any of the ads showing the users saying uh oh, I am running low. Better charge the phone. No, they just go on and on about all you can do.

Yes, I agree consumers can be a bit naive, but that is the audience these devices are aimed at. Most don't want to know that multitasking impacts battery life because a processor is running. They just want to use the phone like they saw on TV.

Sherri, your point about the BB battery life is on target. That is what I was used to, but I am aware of why Android will not get that kind of life. Thinking about it I would probably be well suited to stay with BB forever because I really don't use the Android for all the goodies. I don't understand the fascination with downloading and installing 25 apps a day. I do play solitaire on it occasionally like when waiting in the doctor's office, but games on a small screen? Not for me. I do use it to play Pandora in the office from 7:30am to 12:00 noon (plugged in of course), but that is because the firewall won't allow streaming on the laptop.

I have used the TeleNav GPS in the car and I was very impressed as long as I had it plugged in, but that is no different than when I use my Garmin. That has to be plugged in too. I use the browser, but not that often. I find this Android to be a bit faster than the BB, but I do not like reading a small screen.

I mainly use the phone for making/receiving calls, texting with my daughter and email. I am not consumed with integrating the device into my life. It supplements it, but in a limited way. I am sure some of this is generational and as mobile payments take hold (and they will) the smartphone will become a necessary accessory for much more than calls and texting. With younger people that is already happening and frankly I am not at all happy about it.

Do you ever see kids and young adults talk to each other any more? Social skills? Ha! No one can spell and letters are written in text-speak. I envision that this generation will have severe neck, shoulder and upper back problems from being hunched over all the time.

But I digress......

5. dgray636

Bronze

Aug 22, 2010
    Sherri, are you having any wifi issues since update? I am showing a connection, but it takes forever to do the smallest download. Wifi analyzer is showing a strong signal.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Everything Android

6. sherri

Gold

Jun 29, 2007
    I was, but it seems to be OK now....Installed safe strap and a custom ROM. KOA AOKP. This has the led settings I want (blink while screen is ON). Battery life was awful. People are suggesting the newer leaked update, 214....Holding off.

Currently running stock (but rooted) from my unsafe side. Have KOA on safe. Prefer stock, except for led crap....Trying out battery on both. Yesterday got 21 hours on KOA (full to phone turning off.) Charged to 100%. Now on stock. Will see how long I can go...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

7. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    Kind of like car commercials that show you doing a slip turn on 4 wheels with a subtitle of a professional driver on a closed course? Madison avenue doesn't sell reality Steve, they sell fantasy. Not saying it is right....just saying it is what it is and what is has been for decades...

8. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    That is correct Bob and why have they done it for decades? Because it works. And they know it.

9. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    Why does it feel like we're saying the same thing, just from opposite sides of the aisle <G>